Locked Starting Points Tabs

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Locked Starting Points Tabs

Postby eMike » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:06 am

Hello,
I haven't used Apple Works a lot lately, but are the Assistants, Templates, and Web Tabs supposed to have little lock icons next to them in the starting points window? I don't remember them being there when I first started using Apple Works. I'll be polishing up a resume'.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
eMike

Re: Locked Starting Points Tabs

Postby Barry » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:44 pm

eMike wrote:Hello,
I haven't used Apple Works a lot lately, but are the Assistants, Templates, and Web Tabs supposed to have little lock icons next to them in the starting points window? I don't remember them being there when I first started using Apple Works. I'll be polishing up a resume'.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi Mike,

I haven't seen locks beside these tabs, and haven't been able to make them show, but I suspect it's either a permissions issue or a corrupted AppleWorks preference file.

I'd start with Preferences. Quit AppleWorks, go to the Finder, then navigate to Users>yourname>library>preferences. Select and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Open the folder AppleWorks Preferences, select and delete the enclosed files (exception: If you have made changes to the Button Bar, you should not delete the Button Bars file).

For permissions, use Disk Utility (found in Applications > Utilities) to Repair Permissions. (Depending which OS X version you are sing, you may have to startup from the OS X install isk that came with your computer to do this.)

If that makes no change, go to the Finder, then navigate to Applications>AppleWorks 6>Starting Points. Select all the folders in Starting Points, then press command-I to Get Info. At the bottom of each Info window, you'll see Ownership & Permissions. Click the triangle to show what's set for your account, and the Details: triangle for more information. Mine all show me as the owner (read and write), admin (read only) as group, and others (read & write).You'll need to be logged on as the Owner to make any changes.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Peggy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Barry wrote:
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi Mike,

I haven't seen locks beside these tabs, and haven't been able to make them show, but I suspect it's either a permissions issue or a corrupted AppleWorks preference file.

I'd start with Preferences. Quit AppleWorks, go to the Finder, then navigate to Users>yourname>library>preferences. Select and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Open the folder AppleWorks Preferences, select and delete the enclosed files (exception: If you have made changes to the Button Bar, you should not delete the Button Bars file).

For permissions, use Disk Utility (found in Applications > Utilities) to Repair Permissions. (Depending which OS X version you are sing, you may have to startup from the OS X install isk that came with your computer to do this.)

If that makes no change, go to the Finder, then navigate to Applications>AppleWorks 6>Starting Points. Select all the folders in Starting Points, then press command-I to Get Info. At the bottom of each Info window, you'll see Ownership & Permissions. Click the triangle to show what's set for your account, and the Details: triangle for more information. Mine all show me as the owner (read and write), admin (read only) as group, and others (read & write).You'll need to be logged on as the Owner to make any changes.

Regards,
Barry

When I've seen locks on Starting Points tabs it was in non-admin accounts or, at least, an account other than the admin who installed AppleWorks in OS X. I was able to remove the lock for other admins but not non-admins no matter how many times I tried changing the permissions in the Get Into box.
Peggy

Postby eMike » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:02 am

Peggy wrote:
Barry wrote:
Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi Mike,

Regards,
Barry

When I've seen locks on Starting Points tabs it was in non-admin accounts or, at least, an account other than the admin who installed AppleWorks in OS X. I was able to remove the lock for other admins but not non-admins no matter how many times I tried changing the permissions in the Get Into box.

Hello,
Thank you all very much for the timely replies!
I'm using OS 10.3.9 on my eMac.
I tried to run permissions repair from the start up Disc 1. It did not run all the way through. It just wouldn't do it. I started before I went to my job, and when I got home the progress bar was at the same point (about 1/10 through). So, I quit the Repair permissions and ran repair Disk once to be safe. I already ran it twice earlier from the Disc 1 for a different glitch DVD player is having. (Not too major, but it persists: the DVD player logo @ start up in the viewer is mixing with graphics from the Dock and files when the viewer is moved over them, but not during DVD movie viewing; Fortunately!)
Anyway, Apple Works in my Admin. Account doesn't have the locks next to the Tabs. And Apple Works runs just fine in all the Accounts from what I've tried. I do not use the Admin Acct. much, so I didn't notice that the locks where not there on the tabs for the * Admin Account *. I use a standard account mostly. Also there was no pref.plist for Apple works in my Account! I hadn't moved it from the old prefs file when trying to get the DVD player back to normal. I moved it back to the new prefs. (Weird) Why wasn't one created when I repaired permissions and run so many other trouble shooting steps after the new prefs was created? (This was done a while back with the old and new prefs created) I'm still working with Apple Tech to get it running correctly
Thanks again,
Michael
eMike

Postby eMike » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 am

Hi,
I just wanted to fill in the gaps I left.
Namely, the DVD player logo issue and data CD's/ DVD's issues.

I finally talked again to an Apple tech support member again yesterday. Ironically the same support member I talked to about a month ago!:)

The DVD player in 10.3.9 has glitch that does as I described in my previous post. That's just the way it is. Also using data Cd's and DVD's will not register when attempted to be used in multiple user accounts * without the Admin Acct. logged in also. Another "That's just the way it is" in Mac OS 10.3.9.

These aren't Apple Works information...
I just wanted to share my long tech support results with everyone. Hopefully someone will read this and their worries will be put to rest like mine are.

With downloading so many demo's, shareware, freeware, etc.. As I like to say "You never know until you know"
regards,
Michael
eMike

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo