multiple opening of an AW-doc in a network environment

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

multiple opening of an AW-doc in a network environment

Postby muewa » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:52 pm

We used Mac OS 9 on our clients and the file server until yesterday. Since the cad software do no longer develop its software for OS 9, we decided to change to OSX (Server intel-based; clients G4).

An AppleWorks document with all our contacts was located on the file server; every user opened it, the first the document, the rest of us opened a copy of it, write-protected (a message box told us this).

Under OSX, we are no longer able to open it as "multi-users"; the message box tells the second user, that it is in use. We use AW 6.2.9.

Is there a work-around for this problem, or is something wrong with our installation? As I read, AW should be able to multiple-open the document in a network-environment, is'nt it?

Greetings from snowy, cold switzerland.
muewa

Re: multiple opening of an AW-doc in a network environment

Postby Barry » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:18 am

muewa wrote:We used Mac OS 9 on our clients and the file server until yesterday. Since the cad software do no longer develop its software for OS 9, we decided to change to OSX (Server intel-based; clients G4).

An AppleWorks document with all our contacts was located on the file server; every user opened it, the first the document, the rest of us opened a copy of it, write-protected (a message box told us this).

Under OSX, we are no longer able to open it as "multi-users"; the message box tells the second user, that it is in use. We use AW 6.2.9.

Is there a work-around for this problem, or is something wrong with our installation? As I read, AW should be able to multiple-open the document in a network-environment, is'nt it?

HI,

I've not been using AW in a network/file server environment for a few years now, but I don't recall having been able to simultaneously open copies of an AW file on multiple workstations at one time except when the originals were Stationery files.

Even with Stationery files (also referred to as Templates), students would get a "File is locked" message if they tried to open the file while it was in the process of being opened at another computer. The Mac OS opens stationery/template files as Untitled documents, and releases control of the file as soon as the copy has been loaded. 'File is locked' messages became less of a problem as file transfer speeds increased with each upgrade in servers and workstations.

You can save any AW file as a template by clicking the Template button in the Save As... dialogue. AppleWorks will automatically navigate to the current User's Templates folder when you click the button, but Templates can be saved anywhere you want them.

You can also change already saved files to Templates using the Get Info window. Click on the file's icon, then press command-I to Get Info. Click the Stationery Pad radio button in the Info window, then close the window.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: multiple opening of an AW-doc in a network environment

Postby haumann » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:16 am

muewa wrote:We used Mac OS 9 on our clients and the file server until yesterday. Since the cad software do no longer develop its software for OS 9, we decided to change to OSX (Server intel-based; clients G4).

Without having a network available for me to verify, I would suggest that instead of opening the file in AppleWorks directly from the server, each user can drag the file's icon from the server to the local desktop, then open it. This allows a copy of the server original to be opened locally, leaving the original unencumbered for the next user to access.

I can imagine some potential consequences, but from your description of how the files were used under OS 9, those consequences shouldn't be anything new.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo