Gone Swedish

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Gone Swedish

Postby BethDooley » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 pm

OK, I'm stumped. As of this morning, all my menus and options in AppleWorks 6 (6.2.9) are in Swedish. This also happened a while ago in the Office Suite Preview that came on my iBook G4, but since I don't use those apps, I disregarded it. I have English everywhere else, but cannot find the way to reset the default language in AW.

I think my toddler did this to me...I read an article online about how some Microsoft apps can change your language on the fly if you start typing in it. Does AW try to do this? 'Cause his "typing" could certainly look Swedish.

Running OS X 10.4 Tiger. Have already checked System Prefs/International and it looks like no problem there.

Hjälp!
BethDooley

Re: Gone Swedish

Postby Peggy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

BethDooley wrote:OK, I'm stumped. As of this morning, all my menus and options in AppleWorks 6 (6.2.9) are in Swedish. This also happened a while ago in the Office Suite Preview that came on my iBook G4, but since I don't use those apps, I disregarded it. I have English everywhere else, but cannot find the way to reset the default language in AW.

I think my toddler did this to me...I read an article online about how some Microsoft apps can change your language on the fly if you start typing in it. Does AW try to do this? 'Cause his "typing" could certainly look Swedish.

Running OS X 10.4 Tiger. Have already checked System Prefs/International and it looks like no problem there.

Hjälp!

Welcome to the AWUG forums

AppleWorks won't do this on its own & your toddler's typing won't do it. But, it's possible that you have more than one version of AppleWorks installed on your Mac. The "consumer" Macs from late 2004 through 2005 as well a iBooks & pre-Intel Mac minis in 2006 come with 15 different language versions of AppleWorks that can be installed from the restore DVD. Since the later ones didn't have AppleWorks pre-installed & AppleWorks won't be install by default when restoring software from the DVD. It's not clear that "AppleWorks Languages" when installing AppleWorks from the DVD means each of those is a complete AppleWorks application & support files, quite a few users end up installing all of them. So, first I suggest checking to see if you do have more than one AppleWorks folder in your Applications folder. Delete any you don't want.

If you don't have more than one or after you delete the ones you don't want, you'll need to delete the AppleWorks preferences & then restart AppleWorks. Restarting your Mac wouldn't hurt. To delete AppleWorks’ preference files, go to HD > Users > Library > Preferences. Find and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Find and open the folder AppleWorks in this Preferences folder, then delete all of the enclosed files (with the exception of the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the preference files as it needs them.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo