importing AW OS 9 documents into AW OS 10

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

importing AW OS 9 documents into AW OS 10

Postby DMG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I am running OS 9 and OS 10 on my old G3 iMac. I am using AW 6.0.4 in both OS's.
I am able to create documents when I am in OS 10, and to transfer these to iWork on my new iMac however I am not able to open documents that were created in OS 9 when I am in OS 10 and cannot transfer these to i Work.

Does any one have a solution?
DMG

Re: importing AW OS 9 documents into AW OS 10

Postby Peggy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 pm

DMG wrote:I am running OS 9 and OS 10 on my old G3 iMac. I am using AW 6.0.4 in both OS's.
I am able to create documents when I am in OS 10, and to transfer these to iWork on my new iMac however I am not able to open documents that were created in OS 9 when I am in OS 10 and cannot transfer these to i Work.

Does any one have a solution?

You can't be using AppleWorks 6.0.4 in OS X. It wasn't until AppleWorks 6.2 that support for OS X was added. You may be booted in to OS X, but AppleWorks 6.0.4 will run in Classic.

It's not the version of the Mac OS that affects the ability of Pages (the word processor/page layout application in iWork) to open AppleWorks files. Pages can only open AppleWorks 6 word processing documents & it doesn't matter if they were made with a Classic/OS 9 version of AppleWorks or in OS X. Pages cannot open any other kind of AppleWorks 6 files and it cannot open any AppleWorks 5 or ClarisWorks (any version) files.

I have a feeling that you are using AppleWorks 5 in OS 9. If you were to open & re-save those word processing documents with AppleWorks 6, Pages will be able to open them.
Peggy

Importing AW OS 9 documents into AW OS 10

Postby DMG » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Thanks for your reply Peggy.

You were correct I was running AW in the classic mode (OS 9) even though I was booted in OS X. I checked the version and confirmed that it was AW 6.0.4 in both environments.

When I was in OS X , AW would not open any of the files that were created while I was in OS 9. Consequently, they could not be opened in iWork either.

After much fustration and some deductive reasoning I hit upon a solution!

Boot into OS 9, and append .cwk to each document name. After doing that I was able to open them when I was in OS X and to import them to iWork on my new computere using a flash drive.

Thanks again for weighing in on this problem.

Don
DMG

Re: Importing AW OS 9 documents into AW OS 10

Postby haumann » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 pm

DMG wrote:... After much fustration and some deductive reasoning I hit upon a solution!

Boot into OS 9, and append .cwk to each document name. After doing that I was able to open them when I was in OS X and to import them to iWork on my new computere using a flash drive.

Thanks again for weighing in on this problem.

Don

You don't need to boot into OS 9, nor do you need to open a document in AW to rename it (or to add the. cwk suffix). Just select the file's icon in a Finder window, and choose "Get Info..." from the File menu. Open the "Name & Extension" discosure triangle and edit the file's name.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo