AW6 Unstable - Merging Selected Records

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW6 Unstable - Merging Selected Records

Postby jhaafke » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:13 pm

I'm sure AW6 + OSX instability complaints abound - it crashes a lot, as does Quark. I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a dual-core Mini with 2GB RAM. (the 512MB it came with was painfully slow). I just want to point out a specific situation prompting almost certain crashes, in case an upgrade developer or Bug-Fixer sees this and Santa Claus really does exist.

I open a database (not huge, 60 records). I select one or two or three records I want to merge with a letter, and I Hide the Unselected records. This is a simple technique for a limited merge that I used all the time in Appleworks 5. In AW6, at some point after the Merge or the Show ALL after the merge (so I can select a different group), it CRASHES. I have tried this with several databases, to reduce the possibility that it was just one corrupt file.

Thanks,
John
jhaafke

Re: AW6 Unstable - Merging Selected Records

Postby Peggy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:16 pm

jhaafke wrote:I'm sure AW6 + OSX instability complaints abound - it crashes a lot, as does Quark. I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a dual-core Mini with 2GB RAM. (the 512MB it came with was painfully slow). I just want to point out a specific situation prompting almost certain crashes, in case an upgrade developer or Bug-Fixer sees this and Santa Claus really does exist.

I open a database (not huge, 60 records). I select one or two or three records I want to merge with a letter, and I Hide the Unselected records. This is a simple technique for a limited merge that I used all the time in Appleworks 5. In AW6, at some point after the Merge or the Show ALL after the merge (so I can select a different group), it CRASHES. I have tried this with several databases, to reduce the possibility that it was just one corrupt file.

Thanks,
John

What version of AppleWorks 6 are you using? Any version before 6.2.4 is not known for stability in OS X. 6.2.4 was released in April, 2002, & 6.2.9 (the current version) in January, 2004. I rarely have AppleWorks crash & then only with documents other send me that have been crashing on their Macs. I would avoid 6.2.7 as it is very, very, very buggy.
Peggy

Postby jhaafke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:04 am

Peggy wrote:
jhaafke wrote:I'm sure AW6 + OSX instability complaints abound - it crashes a lot, as does Quark. I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a dual-core Mini with 2GB RAM. (the 512MB it came with was painfully slow). I just want to point out a specific situation prompting almost certain crashes, in case an upgrade developer or Bug-Fixer sees this and Santa Claus really does exist.

Thanks,
John

What version of AppleWorks 6 are you using? Any version before 6.2.4 is not known for stability in OS X. 6.2.4 was released in April, 2002, & 6.2.9 (the current version) in January, 2004. I rarely have AppleWorks crash & then only with documents other send me that have been crashing on their Macs. I would avoid 6.2.7 as it is very, very, very buggy.

I'm using 6.2.9. You haven't heard of this particular problem from anyone else?
BTW, should I select "Reply with Quote" (Top Right) or "Reply to Topic" (Lower Left)?
jhaafke

Postby Peggy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:32 am

jhaafke wrote:
Peggy wrote:

Thanks,
John

BTW, should I select "Reply with Quote" (Top Right) or "Reply to Topic" (Lower Left)?

Databases are more prone to corruption, so that could be the problem. It's a good idea to always have a backup or two or three. An easy way to remove minor corruption is to save the file as AppleWorks 5 (with a different name) & then open that AppleWorks 5 file in AppleWorks 6. You do not need to have AppleWorks 5 to do this.

Whenever AppleWorks crashes, there is some corruption of the preferences. To delete AppleWorks's preference files, go to HD > Users > Library > Preferences & delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Then, in this same Preferences folder, find and open the folder AppleWorks Preferences, then delete all of the enclosed files (except the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the prefs files as it needs them.

I like using "reply with quote" because it keeps the whole thread together.
Peggy

Postby jhaafke » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 pm

Peggy wrote:
jhaafke wrote:
Peggy wrote:

Thanks,
John

Databases are more prone to corruption, so that could be the problem. It's a good idea to always have a backup or two or three. An easy way to remove minor corruption is to save the file as AppleWorks 5 (with a different name) & then open that AppleWorks 5 file in AppleWorks 6. You do not need to have AppleWorks 5 to do this.

Whenever AppleWorks crashes, there is some corruption of the preferences. To delete AppleWorks's preference files, go to HD > Users > Library > Preferences & delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist. Then, in this same Preferences folder, find and open the folder AppleWorks Preferences, then delete all of the enclosed files (except the Button Bar Preferences if you have customized the Button Bars). AppleWorks will recreate the prefs files as it needs them.

Thanks
jhaafke

Postby ddubs » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 am

Peggy wrote:
jhaafke wrote:
Peggy wrote:

Thanks,
John

This is terrific. I’ve just this week encountered this problem for the first time, having used Claris/AppleWorks for twelve years.

Is it possible that this kind of corruption can also affect the Print Preview of merged documents? The previewed documents show up with all sorts of randomness in spelling and of typefaces. Print outs of same are largely correct. I am using AppleWorks 6.2.9 on OSX 10.4.8. FontBook claims the fonts I’m using are not corrupt.
ddubs

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo