Appleworks text format translators- Word windows format

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks text format translators- Word windows format

Postby yves128 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I experience a strange problem with Appleworks 6.2.9 on OSX 10.4.8
When I save a text document as "Word 97.. windows" format, and correctly add the .doc extension, the document can normally be opened and read on a PC, opened by TextEdit, or Open Office on a Mac. However when I try to open it again with Appleworks, it is not recognized anymore and there is an error message.
In other words, the translation works fine one way but fails the other way.
Any clue? Thanks in advance.
yves128

Re: Appleworks text format translators- Word windows forma

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:49 pm

yves128 wrote:I experience a strange problem with Appleworks 6.2.9 on OSX 10.4.8
When I save a text document as "Word 97.. windows" format, and correctly add the .doc extension, the document can normally be opened and read on a PC, opened by TextEdit, or Open Office on a Mac. However when I try to open it again with Appleworks, it is not recognized anymore and there is an error message.
In other words, the translation works fine one way but fails the other way.
Any clue? Thanks in advance.

Did you try changing the suffix back to .cwk?
Tim

Re: Appleworks text format translators- Word windows forma

Postby yves128 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:39 am

I have just tried, but I got an error message saying: "This file appears to be damaged and cannot be open".
This message makes sense, since the format file is most likely a valid PC .doc Word format after the conversion. (I can open it without difficulties with on a PC with Word and with any other Mac application that recognizes a Word document in a PC format (Textedit, Open office)-However this valid .doc format is no longer recognized by the Appleworks translator. As a matter of fact I have managed to open it from Appleworks with the following parameters: "text document" "All formats"
Strangely, I got the folllowing message while opening the document " This file was made by a previous version of Appleworks. The V6 extension will be added..
Therefore it looks like to me that the .doc format was saved with an odd parameter keeping track of an older Appleworks or Clarisworks? format... The problem may be finally related to a difficulty for Appleworks 6.2.9 to open very old Clarisworks formats.

Did you try changing the suffix back to .cwk?[/quote]
yves128

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo