Appleworks and OS 10.4.9

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks and OS 10.4.9

Postby Dr. Elton Robertson » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:12 pm

Just upgraded to 10.4.9 (and I think there was a Quicktime upgrade to 7.1.5 which was also suggested. Appleworks 6.2.9 launches, goes through the setup and quits. Any suggestions besides don't upgrade (too late)?
Dr. Elton Robertson

Re: Appleworks and OS 10.4.9

Postby Barry » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:22 pm

Dr. Elton Robertson wrote:Just upgraded to 10.4.9 (and I think there was a Quicktime upgrade to 7.1.5 which was also suggested. Appleworks 6.2.9 launches, goes through the setup and quits. Any suggestions besides don't upgrade (too late)?

'Don't upgrade' is probabyl not appropriate in this instance, as I,ve done that upgrade (OS X 10.4.9, but not QT 7.1.5) and AppleWorks 6.2.9 is truckin' along as usual.

After any software installation (especially an OS update), it's a good idea to run Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. If that doesn't fix the problem, go on to deleting AppleWorks's preferences files.

There are five AW prefs files for each user, found at HD > Users > username > Library > Preferences.

Four of the files are in the AppleWorks folder atthe location above. Keep Button Bar preferences if you've made changes to the Button Bar and are having no difficulties with the Button Bar. Trash the other three files in this folder.

The fifth file to trash is com.apple.appleworks.plist. It's in the Preferences folder listed above, but outside the Appleworks folder.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Problem Solved

Postby Dr. Elton Robertson » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:33 pm

Ran repair to permissions, found two in need of repair, but not for Appleworks. Repaired. Problem not solved. Trashing the permissions (all except buttonbar) solved the problem. Thanks so much.
Dr. Elton Robertson

Re: Problem Solved

Postby Philip Howe » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:28 am

Dr. Elton Robertson wrote:Ran repair to permissions, found two in need of repair, but not for Appleworks. Repaired. Problem not solved. Trashing the permissions (all except buttonbar) solved the problem. Thanks so much.

Can I make a suggestion? I work with FCP, Motion and DVD Studio Pro for my living and I have learnt one major thing over the years; don't update the OS and central elements of the computer's media presentation engines (Quicktime is the centre of nearly everything in the Mac) until I read that no-one is having any problems, any longer.
Practically all updates introduce problems that are quickly ironed out or solutions found but until then, stay away!
If you check MacFixit.com once or twice a week - you won't need to join just to read the News - but here you will read of the problems some users are experiencing AND the fixes that are developed.
Word of warning, don't get depressed when you read some of the horror stories, they are actually very few and usually caused by unusual combinations of software or 3rd party equipment.
Good luck and carry on having fun.
Philip Howe

Postby aafuss » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:50 am

Updated my QT to 7.1.6 and yet AppleWotks runs absolutely OK.
aafuss

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo