Cannot open AW 5.0.3 database document in 6.2.9

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Cannot open AW 5.0.3 database document in 6.2.9

Postby bpw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:56 pm

I have finally upgraded from my grape iMac to a MacBook Pro (10.4.9) and moved my AW 5.0.3 documents over. I installed AW 6.2.9 and have been able to open several older documents but the database doc I use the most will not open. I get the message "Application Appleworks quit unexpectedly." I try and reopen but still no go. I scanned the discussion board for ideas and tried adding .cwk but still doesn't work.

If it's of any help, here is the beginning of the error report. (By the way, my database document is 900kb and it has been stored on an imation superdisk.) Thank you!

Date/Time: 2007-04-13 17:01:39.791 -0700
OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P2137)
Report Version: 4

Command: AppleWorks 6
Path: /Applications/AppleWorks 6/AppleWorks 6.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleWorks 6
Parent: WindowServer [52]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 6.2.9 (6.2.9)
Build Version: 0
Project Name: AppleWorks
Source Version: 1

PID: 278
Thread: Unknown

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0d5dd000
bpw

Issues updating AW 5 db to AW 6

Postby fhen » Fri May 25, 2007 9:53 pm

I too have a rather large (348 kb) database that has been migrated up each iteration from clarisworks 2.x. I cannot open it in ppc OR intel version of AW 6. I can open in 5, but 5 cannot run on new intel mac. Please help.
fhen

Postby fhen » Sun May 27, 2007 8:48 am

What I am looking for is a way to get the info off the powermac and on to the intelmac. I do not know what I can export it into. I do not know what other programs can import AW databases intact. If I need to shell out for office, thats fine. I am not willing to shell out $300.00-$400.00 if it cannot do the importing I need.
fhen

Postby Peggy » Sun May 27, 2007 10:59 am

fhen wrote:What I am looking for is a way to get the info off the powermac and on to the intelmac. I do not know what I can export it into. I do not know what other programs can import AW databases intact. If I need to shell out for office, thats fine. I am not willing to shell out $300.00-$400.00 if it cannot do the importing I need.

There is no program other than AppleWorks that can open an AppleWorks database (or draw or paint) document. If you save it as a text file (tab-delimited ASCII), it can be opened in any program that supports that file type, which is generally spreadsheets & word processors.

As for opening an AppleWorks 5 file in AppleWorks 6, it should open without problems, but if a PC-formatted disk was used in the transfer from one Mac to the other, the resource fork of the file was likely lost & AppleWorks 6 doesn't know it's an AppleWorks file. Adding the .cwk extension to the file name will usually work to "tell" AppleWorks it can open it.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo