Assistance needed

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Assistance needed

Postby John1 » Mon May 07, 2007 11:59 am

I am relatively new to Appleworks and have a question. I have created documents uusing Appleworks and found they had an error or I didn't need them any more.

I went to the section marked RECENT and tried to delete them. The file says "deleted" when you click on it but the actual form...looks like a sheet of paper...still exists and it takes up room.

Is there any way of getting rid of that actual"sheet of paper" so I can replace it with something else? I have tried to drag to the trash but it won't work.

ANY ideas would be appreciated. I am using 10.3.5 OS X

Thanks
John1

Re: Assistance needed

Postby Barry » Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 am

John1 wrote:I am relatively new to Appleworks and have a question. I have created documents uusing Appleworks and found they had an error or I didn't need them any more.

I went to the section marked RECENT and tried to delete them. The file says "deleted" when you click on it but the actual form...looks like a sheet of paper...still exists and it takes up room.

Is there any way of getting rid of that actual"sheet of paper" so I can replace it with something else? I have tried to drag to the trash but it won't work.

Thanks

Hi John,

I'm not sure what "the section marked RECENT" is. If you mean the Recent Items pane of Starting Points, this is a window that shows buttons corresponding to items in your Recent Items folder.

AppleWorks keeps a Recent Items folder for each User. You'll find yours at Mac HD > Users > yourname > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items.

Items in this folder are aliases (pointers) to files that you have saved, A missing bit of code in AppleWorks means that AW never removes items from this folder. The "deleted" message you receive when clicking a particulat item in the Recent Items pane probably means the file itself has been deleted. You can delete the alias by going to your Recent Items folder and dragging the item to the trash.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: Assistance needed

Postby haumann » Sat May 12, 2007 11:05 am

John1 wrote:I am relatively new to Appleworks and have a question. I have created documents uusing Appleworks and found they had an error or I didn't need them any more.

Thanks

You've discovered that files are deleted with the Finder, but deleting an alias file that points to a document somewhere else on the disk does not also delete the target document. Delete the target file using the same technique you used to delete its alias.

John@was
haumann

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo