document-early appleworks edition-want to transfer to Word

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

document-early appleworks edition-want to transfer to Word

Postby jabuda » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:19 am

I wrote an article in 1996 with an early version of appleworks. Now I need to make a Word document of it. How can I do that?
Could I e-mail the document to one of you to have you turn it into Word and e-mail it back?

Your help greatly appreciated.

(I liked appleworks so much, but my editors want everything in Word. I have many documents in appleworks.)

S
jabuda

Re: document-early appleworks edition-want to transfer to Wo

Postby Peggy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am

jabuda wrote:I wrote an article in 1996 with an early version of appleworks. Now I need to make a Word document of it. How can I do that?
Could I e-mail the document to one of you to have you turn it into Word and e-mail it back?

(I liked appleworks so much, but my editors want everything in Word. I have many documents in appleworks.)

S

I'd be glad to convert it for you. You can find a link to my e-mail at the bottom of this post. Please put AWUG file in the subject line.

Since you have "many documents in AppleWorks" have you considered installing AppleWorks? You don't say what Mac model you are using, but AppleWorks 6 will run on all recent Macs, including Intel Macs. Just make sure it's version 6.2.4 or 6.2.9. 6.2.4 is the earliest stable version in OS X & 6.2.7 was very, very buggy.
Peggy

Re: document-early appleworks edition-want to transfer to Wo

Postby Peggy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:35 pm

&uot
Peggy wrote:
jabuda wrote:I wrote an article in 1996 with an early version of appleworks. Now I need to make a Word document of it. How can I do that?

S

I'd be glad to convert it for you. You can find a link to my e-mail at the bottom of this post. Please put AWUG file in the subject line.

Since you have "many documents in AppleWorks; have you considered installing AppleWorks? You don't say what Mac model you are using, but AppleWorks 6 will run on all recent Macs, including Intel Macs. Just make sure it's version 6.2.4 or 6.2.9. 6.2.4 is the earliest stable version in OS X & 6.2.7 was very, very buggy.

The file I received is a ClarisWorks 4 or earlier file. I was able to determine that by opening it in AppleWorks 5 & then clicking the close box. AppleWorks 5 asked if I wanted to save it, so that means it wasn't already an AppleWorks 5 file. I have sent the file back with the the following info:

All versions of ClarisWorks & AppleWorks 5 cannot run in OS X. An Intel Mac can't use Classic, so you would have to use AppleWorks 6. AppleWorks 6.2.9 (the current version) can't open all ClarisWorks 4 or earlier files. It gives an I/O error. There doesn't appear to be a way to predict which files will cause problems. I've had it happen & not happen with all AppleWorks file types. These files can be opened by any other version of AppleWorks 6, so a good choice would be AppleWorks 6.2.4. AppleWorks 6.2.4 is the earliest version stable in OS X. Avoid 6.2.7 - very, very, very buggy! Hardcore Mac is selling AppleWorks 6.2.4 for a reasonable price. You also can sometimes find AppleWorks 6 on eBay, but it might be difficult to be sure it's no newer than 6.2.4 and has an OS X-aware installer.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo