Extra Fonts, please...

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Extra Fonts, please...

Postby eMike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:43 am

Hi,-

I'm looking for a specific font,- Cameo.
Looking on the web for this has been less savory, and the only ones for cameo are like over $80 for a 'package'. (that I've seen)

Can someone please help me. I'm a newbie in the Fonts realm.
I'd (of course) like to use this font for AppleWorks and likely anything else I can. It's my favorite, very nice!

Thanks,
michael
eMike

Re: Extra Fonts, please...

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:08 am

eMike wrote:Hi,-

I'm looking for a specific font,- Cameo.
Looking on the web for this has been less savory, and the only ones for cameo are like over $80 for a 'package'. (that I've seen)

Can someone please help me. I'm a newbie in the Fonts realm.
I'd (of course) like to use this font for AppleWorks and likely anything else I can. It's my favorite, very nice!

Thanks,
michael

"Cameo" appears to be both the name of a specific font family from Panache Typography and the name of a type style (white on black—like a cameo) that can, like "italic" or "bold", apply to a number of different font families.

The Panache types seem to be available either as the full Family, or as individual items. They are commercial fonts, and are not available without charge.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby eMike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Hi Barry,-

Thank you for your reply!
Those are some very nice fonts!

The typeset I'm interested in, is from a Cambridge Bible.
According to the info in the Bible it states " Typeset in 8pt Medieval Clarendon 1159"

So, with this in mind I have to wonder if this typeset is even available to the general public. It's incredibly nice and fluid for readability.

I browsed over some of the typesets at the font website and, wow! Those are all so beautiful! Thanks for the heads up!

I may e-mail Cambridge and inquire about the typeset.

I was hoping these fonts would be free. But, I really did doubt this level of quality gets kicked around as free ware.

Any who any more tips are welcome.

BTW, does the postscript downloads for typesets work for OSX as well as the Classic Mac OS (9.2.2 and under?)

Regards,
Michael
eMike

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm

eMike wrote:The typeset I'm interested in, is from a Cambridge Bible.
According to the info in the Bible it states " Typeset in 8pt Medieval Clarendon 1159"

So, with this in mind I have to wonder if this typeset is even available to the general public. It's incredibly nice and fluid for readability.

BTW, does the postscript downloads for typesets work for OSX as well as the Classic Mac OS (9.2.2 and under?)

Regards,
Michael

Clarendon is a font name used for a family of fonts from Linotytpe, based on an earlier font used by (and probably designed for) the Clarendon Press in the 1800s.

Here's an article on font types that might interest you.

Regarding your question about PS fonts—PostScript is an Adobe technology originally designed for printing. In earlier versions of the Mac OS (collectively "Classic" Mac OS) PS font packages contained the actual PS font (for use with PS capable printers—at that time, the Apple LaserWriter and commmercial image setters) and a set of bitmap fonts for use on the screen. I haven't kept up enoough to know if that's still true in OS X. It might be a question for the Printing and Faxing forum in the Discussions section for your version of OS X at apple.com.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby eMike » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:24 pm

Barry wrote:

"Cameo" appears to be both the name of a specific font family from Panache Typography and the name of a type style (white on black—like a cameo) that can, like "italic" or "bold", apply to a number of different font families.

The Panache types seem to be available either as the full Family, or as individual items. They are commercial fonts, and are not available without charge.

Regards,
Barry

Hi again Barry,-

So, as for "Commercial Fonts" does this mean that there is some limitation to their use, or does this mean the grade
of the Font?

I understand they are not available without charge.
Has there been a piracy problem with Commercial Fonts?

Like I said; I'm a font newbie and the ones I really like aren't free.

Can these commercial fonts be used Mac OS system wide, Web sites, e-mail, folders etc..?

Thanks again,
Michael
eMike

Postby Barry » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:18 pm

eMike wrote:Hi again Barry,-

So, as for "Commercial Fonts" does this mean that there is some limitation to their use, or does this mean the grade
of the Font?

Can these commercial fonts be used Mac OS system wide, Web sites, e-mail, folders etc..?

Thanks again,
Michael

"Commercial" just means they're for sale. The uses for which they'd be available would depend on the licence for the actual font, but I expect that most licences would be open to your using them in any manner.

When using a font on a website or in an electronic document though, you are dependent on the receiving computer being able to display your page or document using that font, which in the general case means you are depending on that computer having the same font installed. There are ways around this (eg. converting display text to a graphic image), but many of the workarounds aren't practical for body text.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo