Spread Sheet Charting

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Spread Sheet Charting

Postby Aquarius75243 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:23 am

I am trying to make a bar chart comparing two items at specified periods of time. How do I change the name of the default labels from "Series 1" and "Series 2" to something else.

I have clicked on the "General" button in the Chart Options. It shows the default names. I have selected each one and typed in a new name. The computer comes back with a dialog box which says "Bad Range." Since AW displays the chart correctly, what does that mean? How can I change those names?
Aquarius75243

Re: Spread Sheet Charting

Postby Barry » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:44 am

Aquarius75243 wrote:I am trying to make a bar chart comparing two items at specified periods of time. How do I change the name of the default labels from "Series 1" and "Series 2" to something else.

I have clicked on the "General" button in the Chart Options. It shows the default names. I have selected each one and typed in a new name. The computer comes back with a dialog box which says "Bad Range." Since AW displays the chart correctly, what does that mean? How can I change those names?

The only box available for inserting text on the General page of the Chart Options dialogue is the one labelled "Chart Range" This is the range of cells you have slected from which AppleWorks makes the chart. If you put anything other than a cell range in the box (eg. a series name), Appleworks returns the "Bad Range" message and reverts to the selected range.

AppleWorks picks up the series name for each series of data from the label you place at the top of the column of data. To see an example, enter the following in columns C and D, starting at row 3:

Column C:

IN

Column D:

OUT

Select C3..D6 and Make Chart.

Bar chart should be selected by default, so just click OK to see the result.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo