problem with database

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

problem with database

Postby steve » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:03 am

Having rediscovered AppleWorks, I am pleased that many of the features of Claris are still here. I have, however, noticed a quirk while using data bases.

After creating a rather large (900+) item DB, viewing in the "List" mode, I notice that, while scrolling through the document, scrolling will abruptly stop and I can no longer move either up or down. When the DB is closed and reopened, I can scroll in both directions.

I am using an iMac, 2.16 1GB 24" 10.4.10

Any help is welcomed.
steve

Re: problem with database

Postby Barry » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:13 pm

steve wrote:Having rediscovered AppleWorks, I am pleased that many of the features of Claris are still here. I have, however, noticed a quirk while using data bases.

After creating a rather large (900+) item DB, viewing in the "List" mode, I notice that, while scrolling through the document, scrolling will abruptly stop and I can no longer move either up or down. When the DB is closed and reopened, I can scroll in both directions.

Any help is welcomed.

I've never had this happen, so what follows is general trouble shooting that may apply to this problem.

What happens if you switch from List mode to one of the Layouts? Does scrolling ability return? If so, that might be a quicker 'fix' than closing/opening the file.

Does the problem occur in any of the Layouts (ie outside of List view)? If not, you may be able to define a Columnar Report layout that will serve the purposes now served by List.

Does the scrolling always/usually stop at the same place? If so, I'd suspect a corrupted record around that location. Reëntering the data for those records may help.

AppleWorks Preferences may be corrupted. Delete the preferences files. There are five files (for each User), all located at username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Preferences. Four of the files are in the AppleWorks folder at this location, the other ( com.apple.appleworks.plist ) is out in the open. Note: If you've made changes to the Button Bar, don't delete the Button Bar prefs file—it is seldom a problem.

The database file itself may be corrupted. DB files, especially those containing multimedia type fields, are more prone to corruption than other types. A technique that sometimes fixes corrupted DB files is to Save the file as an AppleWorks 5 document, then reopen it in AppleWorks 6. (This does not require AppleWorks 5 to be installed on your machine.) Note: Use a different file name for the AW 5 version to avoid overwriting your original.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby steve » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 pm

Barry wrote:
steve wrote:Having rediscovered AppleWorks, I am pleased that many of the features of Claris are still here. I have, however, noticed a quirk while using data bases.

Any help is welcomed.

I've never had this happen, so what follows is general trouble shooting that may apply to this problem.

What happens if you switch from List mode to one of the Layouts? Does scrolling ability return? If so, that might be a quicker 'fix' than closing/opening the file.

Does the problem occur in any of the Layouts (ie outside of List view)? If not, you may be able to define a Columnar Report layout that will serve the purposes now served by List.

Does the scrolling always/usually stop at the same place? If so, I'd suspect a corrupted record around that location. Reëntering the data for those records may help.

AppleWorks Preferences may be corrupted. Delete the preferences files. There are five files (for each User), all located at username > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Preferences. Four of the files are in the AppleWorks folder at this location, the other ( com.apple.appleworks.plist ) is out in the open. Note: If you've made changes to the Button Bar, don't delete the Button Bar prefs file—it is seldom a problem.

The database file itself may be corrupted. DB files, especially those containing multimedia type fields, are more prone to corruption than other types. A technique that sometimes fixes corrupted DB files is to Save the file as an AppleWorks 5 document, then reopen it in AppleWorks 6. (This does not require AppleWorks 5 to be installed on your machine.) Note: Use a different file name for the AW 5 version to avoid overwriting your original.

Regards,
Barry

------------

Barry,

Thanks for the quick reply. The mystery was solved when I removed a program called "AppleWorks Accelerator". Apparently this was the culprit as the scrolling function now works properly within the same DB and it no longer freezes.
steve

Postby Barry » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:27 pm

steve wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. The mystery was solved when I removed a program called "AppleWorks Accelerator". Apparently this was the culprit as the scrolling function now works properly within the same DB and it no longer freezes.

Thanks for the comeback, Steve. I hadn't thought of third party additions. Happy to hear it wasn't actually an AppleWorks problem.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo