Appleworks on new laptop

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks on new laptop

Postby Debby » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been an AWUG member for many years.

I know that Apple is no longer going to "refresh" AppleWorks but I was wondering - can you install the newest version of AW on the new laptops? I got a new "Mini" earlier in the year and had no problem installing it on that. But my iBook is about shot and I was looking at the new ones. I love AW and want to continue to use it for my "work horse" applications - especially since I have a small business and do everything on AW and have all my records as AW docs.

Thanks,
Debby
Debby

Re: Appleworks on new laptop

Postby Peggy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Debby wrote:Hi,

I am new to this forum but have been an AWUG member for many years.

I know that Apple is no longer going to "refresh" AppleWorks but I was wondering - can you install the newest version of AW on the new laptops? I got a new "Mini" earlier in the year and had no problem installing it on that. But my iBook is about shot and I was looking at the new ones. I love AW and want to continue to use it for my "work horse" applications - especially since I have a small business and do everything on AW and have all my records as AW docs.

Thanks,
Debby

Welcome to the AWUG forums Debby

AppleWorks 6.2.4 or 6.2.9 work very well on an Intel Mac. I would avoid 6.2.7 as it was very, very buggy! The only concern is to make sure the installer is OS X. Early versions of AppleWorks 6 used an OS 9 installer & can't be used on an Intel Mac. To remain within the Apple end-user license, you need to have a license for each installed copy of AppleWorks.
Peggy

Postby Debby » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:29 am

Thanks, Peggy,

I have brand new copies of both AppleWorks and iWork - in the box, yet. Haven't installed them on any computer so was planning on installing them on the new laptop. I am not sure of the version of AppleWorks - will check that it is not the buggy one.

Are they making any new patches at all?

Thanks for the help!
Debby
Debby

Postby Peggy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Debby wrote:Thanks, Peggy,

I have brand new copies of both AppleWorks and iWork - in the box, yet. Haven't installed them on any computer so was planning on installing them on the new laptop. I am not sure of the version of AppleWorks - will check that it is not the buggy one.

Are they making any new patches at all?

Thanks for the help!
Debby

If AppleWorks is brand new, in the box, it should be 6.2.9. You can check the version once it's installed by selecting About AppleWorks. If you need it, you can find the 6.2.9 updater on this page. The last update to AppleWorks was 6.2.9 in January, 2004.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo