Questions, Comments & Concerns -

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Questions, Comments & Concerns -

Postby LikeAW2 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:00 am

Hi -
I am glad to have found this site -

I have been using AppleWorks since it was Claris - and really like it for writing and drawing, charts, etc. I was using an older Mac OS system until I felt forced to upgrade, purchasing a newer Mac from a private party - who had installed "AW 6" - which is one reason why I bought it.

Afterward, due to some other issues, I felt it necessary to upgrade to "†iger", performing a "clean install" - removing AppleWorks. I knew it would be a problem, but felt it would be a bigger issue to do an "Archival Volume" separation - which could have saved it.. but I've already blown that.

So, my question is - should I be trying to find the latest version of AW somewhere? (I haven't read the article I printed from here, yet.) I just saw that they are offering it "FREE" on a site - but I figure there has to be a catch.. I didn't fully investigate it. Then, there is this issue with "iwork", which doesn't fully appear to have the features I would like, as I've noticed others stating.

Anyway, if anyone can suggest the appropriate thing to do, I would appreciate it.
LikeAW2

Re: Questions, Comments & Concerns -

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:25 am

LikeAW2 wrote:So, my question is - should I be trying to find the latest version of AW somewhere? (I haven't read the article I printed from here, yet.) I just saw that they are offering it "FREE" on a site - but I figure there has to be a catch.. I didn't fully investigate it. Then, there is this issue with "iwork", which doesn't fully appear to have the features I would like, as I've noticed others stating.

Anyway, if anyone can suggest the appropriate thing to do, I would appreciate it.

Apple has announced EOL for AppleWorks, according to reports from MacWorld Online and others, but has not released a "free" version. You may be thinking of the various updaters that have been available on the Apple site. See my reply to "AppleWorks demise?" for details on what EOL means.

The largest continuing omission from iWork in the minds of many AppleWorks users is the lack of database capabilities. The best way to find out if iWork is suitable to your own needs is probably to try it. Apple offers a free 30 day trial of iWork 08, downloadable from their site. You'll find it different from AppleWorks (a stumbling block for some when trying to make the switch), more capable in some areas, and less capable in others.

Whether you purchase a new (or used—AW is often available on eBay and similar sites) copy of AW depends on how essential you feel its features are to you. Apple is no longer selling it through the Apple Store, and has ended distribution, but new copies should still be available for a while from some resellers. The last version is 6.2.9.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo