Clippings have disappeared

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Clippings have disappeared

Postby npeafield » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm using AW 6.2.9. I just discovered that I seem to have no Clippings - the window appears, but it's blank. Also, I'm unable to access the online search. I notice that a query on this subject was posted in July but got no replies. Does this mean there are no anwers? Hope not. Thanks for any suggestions.

Nolan
npeafield

Re: Clippings have disappeared

Postby Barry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:02 am

npeafield wrote:I'm using AW 6.2.9. I just discovered that I seem to have no Clippings - the window appears, but it's blank. Also, I'm unable to access the online search. I notice that a query on this subject was posted in July but got no replies. Does this mean there are no anwers? Hope not. Thanks for any suggestions.

Nolan

Hi Nolan,

You raise two separate issues.

Clippings supplied with AppleWorks should be in the Clippings folder at MacHD > Applications > AppleWorks 6.

Clippings you have added should be in the Clippings folder at MacHD > Users > yourname > Documents > AppleWorks User Data.

If the Clippings folders are not in these locations, or are there but are empty, you'll need to return them (the folders or the clippings) to these locations. If they are there, there are two likely causes for your issue: You have moved the AppleWorks 6 application out of the AppleWorks 6 folder, where it must be located in order to find the other essential files in that folder, or you are the victim of corrupted preference files. The latter is cured by deleting the preferences files. There are five of these, four in the AppleWorks folder at MacHD > Users > yourname > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Preferences > AppleWorks. Delete three of the files in that folder, leaving the Button Bar preferences file if you have made changes to the Button Bar. The fifth prefs file is com.apple.appleworks.plist, also found in the Preferences folder, but outside the AppleWorks folder at this location.

The second issue, Web clippings, appears to be a server issue, and has been around since web-based clippings were introduced to AppleWorks. These clippings are stored on a number of non-apple servers, and contact with them has been sporatic at best. They were working moments before this was posted (and are usually working at this time of day when I'm responding to a question regarding web clippings), but seem to fail during heavier traffic times.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby npeafield » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 pm

Barry,

Much thanks for your response. First, Clippings are in the Clippings folder>MacHD>Applications>AppleWorks, and AppleWorks 6 is in the AppleWorks 6 folder. (I had two Clippings folders; one was empty. I trashed it.)

Second, re preferences, when I go to MacHD>Users>myname>Documents>AppleWorks User Data, there is (are?) no Preferences. ?? I have deleted com.apple.appleworks.plist.

Still no clippings. Other suggestions?

Nolan
npeafield

Postby Barry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:59 pm

[quote="npeafield"]
Second, re preferences, when I go to MacHD>Users>myname>Documents>AppleWorks User Data, there is (are?) no /quote]

Sorry, Nolan—my error.

HD > Users > yourname > Library > Preferences > AppleWorks

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby npeafield » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:59 pm

Barry,

I've done everything you suggested. AppleWorks 6 app is in Appleworks 6 folder. Clippings folder is also there. Found and trashed the preferences files you indicated. Still no Clippings. One of the mysteries of life, I guess. I don't use Clippings all that much, anyway; guess I'll struggle on without 'em. But much thanks for your efforts.

Nolan
npeafield

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:34 pm

npeafield wrote:Barry,

I've done everything you suggested. AppleWorks 6 app is in Appleworks 6 folder. Clippings folder is also there. Found and trashed the preferences files you indicated. Still no Clippings. One of the mysteries of life, I guess. I don't use Clippings all that much, anyway; guess I'll struggle on without 'em. But much thanks for your efforts.

Nolan

Hi Nolan,

Is there anything in the Clippings folder? The original set should contain the following (provided I haven't listed things I've moved over from AW 5 or otherwise added). These are all folders, with an indication of how many individual files should be in the folder):

Animals (36 clippings)
Food (21 clippings)
Household (16 clippings)
Landscapes (10 clippings)
Occasions (16 clippings)
Plants (10 clippings)
School (10 clippings)
Seasons (15 clippings)
Space (9 clippings)
Sports (18 clippings)
Transportation (16 clippings)

There are also folders named Others and Photos, which were probably there from the beginning.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby npeafield » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Barry,

The folders in my Clippings folder aren't named, just listed in alphanumerics. There are scads of 'em -- at least the 177 you indicated. When I open any given folder, I get a name for the clipping, and when I double-click on it, the graphic appears (in Preview). But they still don't show in the Clippings window from AW. ??

Best,

Nolan
npeafield

Postby Barry » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:55 am

npeafield wrote:Barry,

The folders in my Clippings folder aren't named, just listed in alphanumerics. There are scads of 'em -- at least the 177 you indicated. When I open any given folder, I get a name for the clipping, and when I double-click on it, the graphic appears (in Preview). But they still don't show in the Clippings window from AW.

No idea how it has happened, Nolan, but something has caused the clippings files' filenames to be corrupted. I suspect the result is that AppleWorks no longer recognizes them as Clippings, and that's the reason they don't appear in the Clippings window.

A possible solution is to replace the whole Clippings folder with a backup version if you have one. Reinstalling AppleWorks from the disk(s) that came with the application or with your machine might also work.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo