Appleworks 6.2.9 versus Character sign palette

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks 6.2.9 versus Character sign palette

Postby Nico van Dooren » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:50 am

Hallo, Using Appleworks for making a text document it is for me not possible to use Character sign palette. " Joint " is not to make active!? I hope you understand me. In " texteditor "app. is Character sign palette ok! Who can and will help me
to use again Character sign palette in Appleworks 6.2.9?
Nico van Dooren

Re: Appleworks 6.2.9 versus Character sign palette

Postby Barry » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:49 am

Nico van Dooren wrote:Hallo, Using Appleworks for making a text document it is for me not possible to use Character sign palette. " Joint " is not to make active!? I hope you understand me. In " texteditor "app. is Character sign palette ok! Who can and will help me to use again Character sign palette in Appleworks 6.2.9?

Hello Nico,

AppleWorks is an old application, originally written (as ClarisWorks) for Mac OS 4. It was Carbonised to run in OS X shortly before the public release of OS X 10.0. All of this came long before Macs started using the Unicode character set, and long before the Character Palette and other OS X word Services were introduced. AW has never been updated to handle Unicode.

AppleWorks can makes use of a number of standard symbols using the 'option' modifier key or using the option + Shift modifiers. You can see which symbols are available using Keyboard Viewer, available through System Preferences > International > Input menu.

You'll find a larger number of symbols if you have the old Symbols font installed.

Neither of these methods will give you the large number of special characters in a Unicode encoded font, but Unicode fonts are restricted to Unicode aware applications, such as Text Edit.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo