Which Version of AW for OS 10.4.6? Is it Downloadable?

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Which Version of AW for OS 10.4.6? Is it Downloadable?

Postby LikeAW2 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:08 am

Hi -
I Just have few questions -

(1) What version of AW can I use on OSX - 10.4.6? - and -

(2) Is a version Downloadable at this point?

(3) Also, I know Apple said they would no longer support AppleWorks - will it work on this system?
LikeAW2

Re: Which Version of AW for OS 10.4.6? Is it Downloadable?

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:22 am

LikeAW2 wrote:Hi -
I Just have few questions -

(1) What version of AW can I use on OSX - 10.4.6? - and -

(2) Is a version Downloadable at this point?

(3) Also, I know Apple said they would no longer support AppleWorks - will it work on this system?

1. AW 6.2.4 or AW 6.2.9 are both useable with Tiger. Avoid 6.2.7 as it introduced more bugs than it was supposed to cure.

2. No.

3. 6.2.9 is working fine under OS X 10.4.9 on my G4 iBook. It also works well on intel Macs, using Rosetta.

Hard Core Mac has copies of AW 6.2.4 available (on original CDs). You should be able to find 6.2.9 at some retailers. I've heard reports that Apple still has some in the Appe Store online, but you have to ask for the legacy software list, and be fortunate enough to get a representative who knows about that list.

eBay often has copies of AW 6 listed, but it's difficult to tell if the particular copy is on a disk with an OS X compatible installer. Although the AppleWorks application on the disk will run under OS X, earlier disks had an installer that needed Mac OS 9.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Thanks -

Postby LikeAW2 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:37 am

Thanks, Barry -

You've been really helpful. I will try getting my hands on one of those. I might add, I do not have OS 9 available on this system - but I hope you are saying I won't necessarily need it.

Thanks -

L
LikeAW2

Re: Thanks -

Postby Barry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:56 am

LikeAW2 wrote:Thanks, Barry -

You've been really helpful. I will try getting my hands on one of those. I might add, I do not have OS 9 available on this system - but I hope you are saying I won't necessarily need it.

Thanks -

L

You'll only need OS 9 if the installer on your AW disk requires it. OS X installers were put on disks sometime in 2001. Any AW version earlier than 6.2 will definitely not have an OS X installer.

btw, here's the URL for Hard Core Mac:

http://hardcoremac.stores.yahoo.net/appleworks62.html

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Thanks, once again -

Postby LikeAW2 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:42 am

Thanks, once again - That clears it up for me.

Believe me, I have been wanting to get this resolved for a time, but had been put off. Unfortunately, in the process of installing TIGER, I removed the AW version the previous owner had installed on this computer, with OS9 and OSX - which I knew would be the case, but felt I could get AW later. I would have liked to leave it alone, but I needed to resolve "old passcode" issues, so I did a Clean Install - which I believe you had suggested at the time and I know you were right. You know all the rest.

Anyway, Thanks for all your help. I will get it together and be back on my "AW- merry way" - soon, I hope.

L
LikeAW2

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo