columns in text

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

columns in text

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:35 am

I needed to compare 4 pieces of text, so I put them into 4 columns in the WP application. By applying each piece of text a different colour, i managed to get some order eventually, but every change involved a flow over into the wrong column. Is there a way one could do this operation and fix the columns so that text remains where it is put?
Rhiannon Beech

Re: columns in text

Postby Peggy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:21 pm

Rhiannon Beech wrote:I needed to compare 4 pieces of text, so I put them into 4 columns in the WP application. By applying each piece of text a different colour, i managed to get some order eventually, but every change involved a flow over into the wrong column. Is there a way one could do this operation and fix the columns so that text remains where it is put?

The best would probably be to use text boxes. You could also use column breaks but if the text in any column is more than the column, you'll still have the problem of overflow.
Peggy

Postby Tim » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:25 pm

Rhiannon Beech wrote:I needed to compare 4 pieces of text, so I put them into 4 columns in the WP application. By applying each piece of text a different colour, i managed to get some order eventually, but every change involved a flow over into the wrong column. Is there a way one could do this operation and fix the columns so that text remains where it is put?

Hi Peggy,

Without knowing all the pieces of what you're attempting to do my suggestion may be way off but here goes anyway. How about using the spreadsheet to put your words in. A spreadsheet will always preserve the columns.

Tim
Tim

Postby Barry » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Tim wrote:

Hi Peggy,

Without knowing all the pieces of what you're attempting to do my suggestion may be way off but here goes anyway. How about using the spreadsheet to put your words in. A spreadsheet will always preserve the columns.

Tim

That would work if none of the 4 pieces contained more than 255 characters, the maximum amount of data in an AW spreadsheet cell.

But that suggestion does bring up the possibility of using a one row by 4 column Table in a word processor document. Tables in AppleWorks cannot cross page boudaries, but the AW 6 specs don't mention any limitation on the amoount of text that can be contained in a Table cell.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

columns

Postby Rhiannon Beech » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you one and all. I tried using draw and text columns it was not very succesful. I will now attempt the spreadsheet idea in the WP document.
Rhiannon Beech

Postby Peggy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Tim wrote:

Hi Peggy,

Tim

I agree that without knowing what is attempted it is difficult to provide a solution. But I'm not the one with the question/problem, Rhiannon is. I was merely making a suggestion.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo