Moving data to a PC

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Moving data to a PC

Postby tonyandkath » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:08 pm

I've been secretary for a group whose membership is 120 and am about to hand over to the new secretary who uses XP.

I need to transfer members names etc out of my address book and the data base of members together with a number of other folders.

I know this will have been asked frequently but I have no idea where to start.

Cheers
Tony
tonyandkath

Re: Moving data to a PC

Postby Barry » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:03 pm

tonyandkath wrote:I've been secretary for a group whose membership is 120 and am about to hand over to the new secretary who uses XP.

I need to transfer members names etc out of my address book and the data base of members together with a number of other folders.

I know this will have been asked frequently but I have no idea where to start.

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony,

Are both your "address book" and your "database of members" AppleWorks database documents?

The most 'universal' format you can use for an export is ASCII Text. Open your AppleWorks DB, choose a layout that shows all the fields you want to export, then go Save As... and choose Text (or ASCII Text) from the File Format menu.

This produces a tab-delimited-text file, which can be opened directly into MS Excel and many other database or spreadsheet applications.

Some applications may require a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. AppleWorks will not save a DB directly to this format, but you can easily convert the file above to CSV:

Open the text file in an AppleWorks Word Processor document.
Press command-F (Find/Change)
Enter "\t" (without the quotes) in the Find box, and a comma (,) in the Change box.
Click Change All then OK the warning and the dialogue telling how many changes were made.
Save the result as Text.
Close the document, clicking Don't Save (if asked).
Locate the file in the Finder and replace the current filename extension with .csv

If 'address book' refers to the Address Book application supplied with OS X, your successor will need an application that can read vCards in either version 3.0 or 2.1 formats. Failing that, you might want to repost this part of your question in the Mail and Address Book forum for your version of the Mac OS at Apple Discussions.

Transfer of the other folders will depend on the contents of those folders and the software used on each end of the transfer.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Moving data to PC

Postby tonyandkath » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 am

Thanks Barry. Wow!
I'll do my best!
Cheers
Tony
tonyandkath

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo