I Need Help

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

I Need Help

Postby Claris Writer » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Well, I wrote a script using Claris Works' word processor many years ago and now I cant access the file. I tried to reload the the software but my floppy #2 is currupted. I was told that Claris Works word proccessing files could be opened in Apple Works. Apple as everyone seemed to know besides me until today, has cancelled the program.---- I need either Apple Works for Windows or Claris Works for Windows, would anyone know where to find them?
Claris Writer

Re: I Need Help

Postby Barry » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 am

Claris Writer wrote:Well, I wrote a script using Claris Works' word processor many years ago and now I cant access the file. I tried to reload the the software but my floppy #2 is corrupted. I was told that Claris Works word proccessing files could be opened in Apple Works. Apple as everyone seemed to know besides me until today, has cancelled the program.---- I need either Apple Works for Windows or Claris Works for Windows, would anyone know where to find them?

If memory serves, retail versions of AppleWorks 5 included both Mac and Windows versions on the disk. AppleWorks 6 (Win) was available only to the education market, so it may be more difficult to locate.

Your best bet for either is eBay or similar sites. Search both "appleworks" and "apple works" as some sellers include a space in the name.

You should be able to recover the text (but not the formatting) of the files by opening them with a text editor (eg. TextEdit or TextWrangler on the Mac—I don't know what the equivalent Windows apps would be).

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Follow Up----- Still Need Help and Thank You Barry!

Postby Claris Writer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Thank you for the wealth of information, Barry.

I came across some guys called Hardcore Mac-- they have a Windows Version of AppleWorks, supposedly this version also loads AppleWorks 6.2 on a Mac. The full version of AppleWorks 6 as they call it. One disc for both platforms. I feel a little unsure about ordering this software---I don't know one hundred percent if it will open my ClarisWorks file and they could not tell me for certain if it would or would not. They're selling this disc for $150.00. Has anyone dealt with Hardcore Mac--- are they trustworthy? If anyone knows for certain about ClarisWorks for Windows compatibility with AppleWorks for Windows, please tell me--I need your help.

Thank you.
Claris Writer

Re: Follow Up----- Still Need Help and Thank You Barry!

Postby Barry » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 am

Claris Writer wrote:Thank you for the wealth of information, Barry.

I came across some guys called Hardcore Mac-- they have a Windows Version of AppleWorks, supposedly this version also loads AppleWorks 6.2 on a Mac. The full version of AppleWorks 6 as they call it. One disc for both platforms. I feel a little unsure about ordering this software---I don't know one hundred percent if it will open my ClarisWorks file and they could not tell me for certain if it would or would not. They're selling this disc for $150.00. Has anyone dealt with Hardcore Mac--- are they trustworthy? If anyone knows for certain about ClarisWorks for Windows compatibility with AppleWorks for Windows, please tell me--I need your help.

I've had no dealings with Hardcore Mac, so any comments below do not come from direct experience.

Considering the HCMac is selling the AW 6.2.4/6,2,3 installer disk (Mac only) for $40, it appears you would be paying $110 to add the Windows version. That seems expensive, but the price may be influenced by the rarity of an AW 6 (Win) source. The last version of AW for Windows was 6.2.2. I don't know if or where updates are still available.

The "full version" description just means that the disk is not an updater, but an installer for the application. All versions of AppleWorks were "full" versions, and updaters were available only by download. "Full version" could also mean that the application is on a 'universal' disk which will run the installer on any machine with a supported OS. This is the reason for the warnings on the HCMac site regarding 'gray disks labelled iMac, etc.' Those disks were supplied with specific machines, and in some cases will boot and run only on the type of machine they were supplied with.

HardcoreMac has been mentioned many times as a source for AppleWorks 6.2.4, and I have seen posts indicating the poster was going to buy or had bought the 6.2.4 installer disc from them. I do not recall having seen any follow up posts saying the disk did not work on their machine or mentioning any problem in dealing with HCMac. Based on that lack of negative feedback, I'd have no reason to describe them as "untrustworthy."

Regarding file compatibility between Mac and Windows versions: there <I>should</I> be no problems provided you include the .cwk suffix on filenames of the files going to the Windows machine. Translations between versions (eg. AW6 and CW5) depends on the translators supplied with the application, and is one-way only with respect to reading files. Newer versions can generally read older versions, but older versions can't read files saved in a new file format.

Regards,
Barry

PS: As this is a continuation of your earlier question, I've taken the liberty of removing the second copy of this question from the forum before it has gathered any replies.
B
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo