Creating Pie Chart

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Creating Pie Chart

Postby brucep » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm trying to create a pie chart using AW SS following the directions from an AWUG Journal (Nov 2003). The problem occurs after entering the data in the spreadsheet cells, holding down the option key, selecting the data, choosing Make chart from Option pull down menu, the Chart options dialogue box appears. I've selected the pie chart icon, shadow, tilt and color in the gallery. However, after clicking on OKl, I receive a message, "not enough data selected."

What am I doing wrong?
brucep

Re: Creating Pie Chart

Postby Barry » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:16 am

brucep wrote:I'm trying to create a pie chart using AW SS following the directions from an AWUG Journal (Nov 2003). The problem occurs after entering the data in the spreadsheet cells, holding down the option key, selecting the data, choosing Make chart from Option pull down menu, the Chart options dialogue box appears. I've selected the pie chart icon, shadow, tilt and color in the gallery. However, after clicking on OKl, I receive a message, "not enough data selected."

What am I doing wrong?

This, I think: " holding down the option key"

Here's a quick set of instructions to create a couple of pie charts. You should be able to take it from there.

1. Enter the following data:

C5: 5
C6: 10

Click on C5, hold the mouse button down, drag to C6, release the mouse button. This should select (highlight) cells C5 and C6.

Go Options > Make Chart...
Click the Pie Chart icon, then click OK

Result: Pie chart with red slice in the noon to 4 o'clock section, blue slice covering the rest. At top right a legend with a red square labeled "Series 1" and a blue square labeled "Series 2"

Press delete to remove the chart.

Enter this additional data:

C7: 40
B5: Tom
B6: Dick
B7: Harry

Click on B5 and drag to C7 to select the six cells.

Press command-M to Make Chart (or go Option > Make chart... as before)

In the Galley, click the Pie chart, then check Tile and Shadow checkboxes (Color and Hoirizontal shoould already be checked). Click OK.

Result: In the legend, the three coloured squares will now be labeled Tom, Dick and Harry. The pie chart will now have three segments, Red from noon to 1:00, Blue from 1:00 to 4:00 and Yellow from 4:00 to 12:00.

Again press delete to remove the current graph.

Add one more piece of data:

B4: Treats per Week

Click and drag to select B4..C7.

Press command-M, click the pie chart icon, click OK.

Result: A title is added to your graph.

Double click the graph.
Check the Shadow check box, then click OK. Note the change.

Double click the graph.
Check the Tilt checkbox, then click OK. note the change.

Double click the graph.
Explore the other options in Series and Labels buttons.

Apply what you've learned to the graph you want to make.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby brucep » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:32 am

Barry wrote:
brucep wrote:I'm trying to create a pie chart using AW SS following the directions from an AWUG Journal (Nov 2003). The problem occurs after entering the data in the spreadsheet cells, holding down the option key, selecting the data, choosing Make chart from Option pull down menu, the Chart options dialogue box appears. I've selected the pie chart icon, shadow, tilt and color in the gallery. However, after clicking on OKl, I receive a message, "not enough data selected."

What am I doing wrong?

Here's a quick set of instructions to create a couple of pie charts. You should be able to take it from there.

1. Enter the following data:

C5: 5
C6: 10

Click on C5, hold the mouse button down, drag to C6, release the mouse button. This should select (highlight) cells C5 and C6.

Go Options > Make Chart...
Click the Pie Chart icon, then click OK

Result: Pie chart with red slice in the noon to 4 o'clock section, blue slice covering the rest. At top right a legend with a red square labeled "Series 1" and a blue square labeled "Series 2"

Press delete to remove the chart.

Enter this additional data:

C7: 40
B5: Tom
B6: Dick
B7: Harry

Click on B5 and drag to C7 to select the six cells.

Press command-M to Make Chart (or go Option > Make chart... as before)

In the Galley, click the Pie chart, then check Tile and Shadow checkboxes (Color and Hoirizontal shoould already be checked). Click OK.

Result: In the legend, the three coloured squares will now be labeled Tom, Dick and Harry. The pie chart will now have three segments, Red from noon to 1:00, Blue from 1:00 to 4:00 and Yellow from 4:00 to 12:00.

Again press delete to remove the current graph.

Add one more piece of data:

B4: Treats per Week

Click and drag to select B4..C7.

Press command-M, click the pie chart icon, click OK.

Result: A title is added to your graph.

Double click the graph.
Check the Shadow check box, then click OK. Note the change.

Double click the graph.
Check the Tilt checkbox, then click OK. note the change.

Double click the graph.
Explore the other options in Series and Labels buttons.

Apply what you've learned to the graph you want to make.

Regards,
Barry

Your practice examples worked great! I think I got creating a pie chart down. Next question, after creating the chart I'm left with the pie chart in front of the spread sheet background. What's the next step to keep just the pie chart and be able to print it on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" paper?
brucep

Postby Barry » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:24 pm

brucep wrote:
Barry wrote:

What am I doing wrong?

Here's a quick set of instructions to create a couple of pie charts. You should be able to take it from there.<snip>

Regards,
Barry

Your practice examples worked great! I think I got creating a pie chart down. Next question, after creating the chart I'm left with the pie chart in front of the spread sheet background. What's the next step to keep just the pie chart and be able to print it on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" paper?

The chart, when created, will also be selected (there will be a handle at each corner). To move it to another document for printing:

If you have deselected the object (no handles at the corners), click on the chart to re select it.

Press command-C to Copy the chart to the Clipboard.

Go to the File menu or the Button bar to open a new Drawing or Word Processing document.

Press command-V to paste the chart into the new document.

As the chart is wider than it is tall, you may want to rotate the page. Go File > Page setup... and choose one of the Landscape orientations. Click OK.

Draw document: (Click on the chart to select it.)
Drag one of the handles to resize the chart.
Drag any part of the chart except one of the handles to reposition it.

WP document: (Click the chart to select it.)
If the chart has been pasted as an Inline object it will show a single handle at the lower right corner when selected. Drag this handle to resize the object (chart).
Press comand-| (key above the return key marked with | and \ symbols) to horizontally center the object.
Press the left arrow to deselect the object and place the insertion point to its left, then press return to move the object down the page.

WP document: The chart can be pasted into a word processor document as a Floating object. To do this, click the red toolbox icon at the lower left of the window to show the Tools palette, then click the Selection tool (Arrow) at the top of the tools to change to Draw mode. Then Paste.
Resize and reposition the Floating object as described at "Draw document."

Resizing hint—To maintain the width to height proportions when resizing a floating object:
Use "Scale by percent" in the Arrange menu and use the same percentage in both boxes, OR
Draw a diagonal line positioned to pass through the top left and bottom right corners of the chart. When resizing, drag the lower right corner handle of the chart along this line. Select and delete the line after the chart has been resized.

While it is attached to the spreadsheet a chart has an active connection to the underlying data and will change to reflect changes in that data. That 'live' connection is broken when the chart is pasted into a separate document, and the chart remains fixed regardless of changes in the data in the spreadsheet.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo