Appleworks hanging when trying to resize a spreadsheet.

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks hanging when trying to resize a spreadsheet.

Postby David Gurney » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:25 am

Can anyone suggest how I can overcome the problem of Appleworks hanging when resizing a spreadsheet?

I have tried the following to no avail:-

1. Deleted the Recent Items and Autosave from my Documents folder.

2. Deleted all the Preference Items with the exception of the Button Bars.

The strange thing is having done this a couple of times the resizing process worked - I wished to increase the number of rows in a spreadsheet from 1568 to 1824. Following the "hangs" I launched the Activity Monitor to watch the progress of this process and it starts off OK but fails when about three quarters of the way along the viewing panel with the notice in red " Appleworks hung". The spreadsheet then freezes and it is necessary to "Force Quit". I have also done a files check in single user mode and everything is OK and repaired my Permissions.

If anyone can offer a solution I would be most grateful.

Kind regards,

David Gurney
David Gurney

Re: Appleworks hanging when trying to resize a spreadsheet.

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:19 am

David Gurney wrote:Can anyone suggest how I can overcome the problem of Appleworks hanging when resizing a spreadsheet?

I have tried the following to no avail:-

1. Deleted the Recent Items and Autosave from my Documents folder.

2. Deleted all the Preference Items with the exception of the Button Bars.

The strange thing is having done this a couple of times the resizing process worked - I wished to increase the number of rows in a spreadsheet from 1568 to 1824. Following the "hangs" I launched the Activity Monitor to watch the progress of this process and it starts off OK but fails when about three quarters of the way along the viewing panel with the notice in red " Appleworks hung". The spreadsheet then freezes and it is necessary to "Force Quit". I have also done a files check in single user mode and everything is OK and repaired my Permissions.

Hi David,

The only thing that comes to mind is a possibly corrupted file. Two suggestions:

Save the spreadsheet as an AppleWorks 5 document, using a revised name. Close the original, then open the AW 5 copy. This process sometimes serves to repair internal pointers that have gone awry. Try adding the rows to the new file.

Open a new spreadsheet file and immediately go Format > Document... and add the rows (and columns) to get to the size you want. Then go to the finder, locate the old file and drag it's icon onto the new open document.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Appleworks hanging when trying to resize a spreadsheet

Postby David Gurney » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:06 am

Dear Barry,

Thank you for your quick reply which I appreciate.

I have tried both your suggestions and give below the results:-

1. Unfortunately the copied document "Hung" in the same way as indicated by the Activity Monitor I ran concurrently.

2. The second method produced a new empty spreadsheet without any difficulties. However when I dragged the icon from the old spreadsheet to the new one all that happened was that the first two columns were completed after which the program froze with the answer "Can't resolve circular references" and the cells were filled with black spots.

I do not know if a little further information might help. I am using Appleworks 6.2.4 in conjunction with Mac OS X10.3.9 Panther. The spreadsheet is a large one which contains hundreds of moving average formulae. Data is entered on a daily basis on one spreadsheet to which a further three spreadsheets are linked and the information is then transferred to each of these by means of the "Fill Down" command when the formulae are applied.

Any further advice will be welcomed and I thank you for your assistance.

Kind regards,

David.
David Gurney

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo