upgrading appleworks

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

upgrading appleworks

Postby MP » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:13 pm

Assistance appreciated
I removed my old Appleworks and realized I hosed myself on being able to do any word processing on my eMac.
I have 10.5.5 OS.. and the upgrade to Appleworks 6.2.9 won't go on..
Question: do I need to reinstall the original OS, then the newer one I added this last summer?
Will I then be able to put 6.2.9 on?mp
MP

Re: upgrading appleworks

Postby Peggy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:24 pm

MP wrote:Assistance appreciated
I removed my old Appleworks and realized I hosed myself on being able to do any word processing on my eMac.
I have 10.5.5 OS.. and the upgrade to Appleworks 6.2.9 won't go on..
Question: do I need to reinstall the original OS, then the newer one I added this last summer?
Will I then be able to put 6.2.9 on?mp

The AppleWorks 6.2.9 upgrade requires a copy of AppleWorks 6 to already be installed on your Mac. Since you have deleted it, you will have to reinstall from your original disks. AppleWorks is not & never has been part of any version of the Mac OS. It was bundled with the pre-Intel "consumer" Macs - iMac, iBook, eMac & Mac mini. It is not included on any Intel Mac, consumer or professional. Apple has written two articles, Knowledge Base article 300316 on installing AppleWorks 6 & Knowledge Base article 61802 on restoring the software that came with your Mac.

If your eMac was purchased before the end of 2001 it is likely that the bundled AppleWorks 6 installer will require OS 9. You might be able to boot from the restore CD & install it on your internal hard drive. You will then need to update it to 6.2.4 or 6.2.9 to run reliably in OS X.
Peggy

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo