Links & Anchors, TARGETS (NAVIGATING)

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Links & Anchors, TARGETS (NAVIGATING)

Postby DrewSpangler » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:47 pm

I have AppleWorks 6.2.9

What is an anchor?
What is a target?

I am able to change a word into a link (make a link-word).
I can then click on that to open another document.
However, I want to go to a particular paragraph on a particular page.
How?

Please know that my vocabulary is very limited.
Thank you, Drew Spangler

PS This is my second attempt to use this forum. This is one of the most un-user friendly forums I have been to. I can’t find anything or correctly locate the right place to post a question. Is this the right place. How would I know?
DrewSpangler

Re: Links & Anchors, TARGETS (NAVIGATING)

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 am

DrewSpangler wrote:I have AppleWorks 6.2.9

What is an anchor?
What is a target?

I am able to change a word into a link (make a link-word).
I can then click on that to open another document.
However, I want to go to a particular paragraph on a particular page.
How?

Hi Drew,

A target is something to which a link points. The target may be a web page, an AppleWorks document, or an anchor in the open document or another AppleWorks document.

An anchor is a named target, attached to a word, phrase or other object in an AppleWorks document.

You want to make a link whose target is a specific location in another AppleWorks document.

To do that you will have to first create the anchor, then create the link and select the document it is to open and the anchor within that document.

The example involves two documents that exist only in my head. If you need similar instructions for a pair of actual documents, email me directly using the link at the bottom of this message.

Example: You have an AppleWorks word processing document named "Dog bios" containing biographies of a number of famous dogs both real and fictional, grouped by breed. One of the dogs in the document is Lady, the cocker spaniel co-star of Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" Her biography starts part way down page 17 of the document.

You want to be able to go directly to her bio from a number of places: Her entry in the table of contents of the same document, a mention of Lady in the bio of her co-star, the Tramp, on page 37 of the same document, and her name in a list of characters played by Barbara Luddy, contained in a second AppleWorks word processing document named "Leading Men and Ladies"

Here are the steps:
1. Create the Anchor:
Open the file "Dog bios". Go to Page 17 and select the word "Lady", the title of the movie dog's bio. With the word highlighted, click the Anchor button in the Button Bar.
A small dialogue will open, with "Lady" entered in the Name: box. Click OK to accept this name and create the anchor.

2. Create an internal link to this Anchor:
Go to page 1 of "Dog bios" Select the word "Lady" in the table of contents list. With the word highlighted, go to the Button Bar and click the Document Link button (two links of chain beside a blank sheet of paper) to open the New Document Link dialogue.
Accept the default name.
The target for this link is an anchor in the same document, so leave "<Current Document>" in the Document: box.
Use the pull down Anchor: menu to choose "Lady" as the target for this link.
Click OK to confirm the choices and create the link.

3. Create a second internal link to the same anchor:
Go to page 37 of the document. Select the first appearance of the name "Lady" in the article on the Tramp. Proceed as in step 2, with one change:
In the dialogue, change the name of this link from "Lady" to "Lady2"

At this point you may want to test the two links you've created. The links will be indicated by the words they are attached to being underlined and shown in blue. Clicking on either of the links will take you directly to the anchor ("Lady" on page 17).

4. Save and Close "Dog bios"

5. Create a link in a second document, pointing to this Anchor:
Open the AppleWorks file "Leading Men and Ladies".
Locate the entry for Barbara Luddy, then "Lady" in the list of characters she has played in the movies. Select "Lady", then go to the Button Bar and click the Document Link button (same one as in step 2).
In the dialogue, leave Lady as the Name:.
Click the Choose button, then in the Open dialogue, navigate to the folder where you saved "Dog bios".
Click on "Dog bios", then click the Open button.
"Dog bios" will appear in the Document: box of the New Document Link dialogue.
Use the pull down Anchor: menu to choose "Lady" as the target for this link.
Click OK to confirm the choices and create the link.

Done. Test your new link by clicking it.
AppleWorks will open "Dog bios" and take you directly to Lady's bio on page 17.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Re: Links & Anchors, TARGETS (NAVIGATING) (PS)

Postby Barry » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:40 am

DrewSpangler wrote:PS This is my second attempt to use this forum. This is one of the most un-user friendly forums I have been to. I can’t find anything or correctly locate the right place to post a question. Is this the right place. How would I know?

Well, your question asks for help with AppleWorks.
The name of this forum is "AppleWorks Help.
That seems to be a pretty good match.

Your question was initially posted in a forum named "For Practice Only".
The post at the top of the list in that forum is titled "This Forum".
That post explains the purpose of that forum. It also contains the following paragraph:

If you have a question about AppleWorks or one of the iWork applications (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) please post your question in the AppleWorks Help or iWork Help Forum. If you have a suggestion or request for a future improvement to iWork, please use the iWork Wish List forum.

There is a link under the message title on this page (and any message page) to the "AWUG/iWUG Forum Index". The same link appears under each message.
There is a link to "Discussion Forums" at the bottom of every page on this site. That link leads to the same index page as the one above.
Beside the Discussion Forums link on every page is one to "Home". On the Home page, there is a Table of Contents list of links, including one to Discussion Forums.

The Forum Index page lists the four forums carried on this site, with a brief description of what each is for. The name of each of the forums is a link to that forum.

Overall, I've found navigation on this site and in the forums to be pretty easy. Part of that is experience and familiarity, but I don't recall ever having had much difficulty finding my way around here. (Incidently, I had nothing to do with the design, and still don't.)

YMMV, of course. So what suggestions would you have for making the forums more user-friendly?

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby DrewSpangler » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:05 am

Barry, You really have to be kidding. All I want to do is assign a unique number to a paragraph in document 1 and put that same number in an outline in document “2“ where I can click on that number to retrieve the original.

Here’s your answer:
First you do something you can’t do then...
You do something else you can’t do then...
You do the last thing you don’t know how to do and you have it.
But first let me make up my own scenario that doesn’t apply to you.

For get that Barrrrry!
May I please have an address where I can go in person or better
can call on the phone with my hands free set. My zip in LA City 90010

This is my own fault for thinking anything like this would work.
I can’t win a noble prize for writing until I learn this Barry.
I have to find a way to get this out of one of you guys.
(213) 388-5683

I see now that this is the wrong place to post a reply but that figures.
You want advice? When I get logged in where’s the botton to check replys to my last question????????????????? AND WHY DO I NEED A MICROSCOPE TO READ WITH.

PLEASE DON’T ANSWER. THIS IS JUST SO RIDICULOUS !!!! The person who designed this did not design the AppleWorks program.
Where the hell is the answer information that you gave me that services
no purpose anyway. I see it not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t bother Barry, I won’t be back for months and you won’t have
what I need anyway. GOOD BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry wrote:
DrewSpangler wrote:PS This is my second attempt to use this forum. This is one of the most un-user friendly forums I have been to. I can’t find anything or correctly locate the right place to post a question. Is this the right place. How would I know?

Well, your question asks for help with AppleWorks.
The name of this forum is "AppleWorks Help.
That seems to be a pretty good match.

Your question was initially posted in a forum named "For Practice Only".
The post at the top of the list in that forum is titled "This Forum".
That post explains the purpose of that forum. It also contains the following paragraph:

If you have a question about AppleWorks or one of the iWork applications (Pages, Keynote and Numbers) please post your question in the AppleWorks Help or iWork Help Forum. If you have a suggestion or request for a future improvement to iWork, please use the iWork Wish List forum.

There is a link under the message title on this page (and any message page) to the "AWUG/iWUG Forum Index". The same link appears under each message.
There is a link to "Discussion Forums" at the bottom of every page on this site. That link leads to the same index page as the one above.
Beside the Discussion Forums link on every page is one to "Home". On the Home page, there is a Table of Contents list of links, including one to Discussion Forums.

The Forum Index page lists the four forums carried on this site, with a brief description of what each is for. The name of each of the forums is a link to that forum.

Overall, I've found navigation on this site and in the forums to be pretty easy. Part of that is experience and familiarity, but I don't recall ever having had much difficulty finding my way around here. (Incidently, I had nothing to do with the design, and still don't.)

YMMV, of course. So what suggestions would you have for making the forums more user-friendly?

Regards,
Barry
DrewSpangler

Rude

Postby bcoder » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:39 pm

I have been a member and have monitored this group and forums since Apple ][+,GS days and this has to be the most weird and rude interchange I have seen in a long time.

I have used this group to become a power user of AppleWorks over the years.

I now have an iMac 24" operating under 10.5.6 and still find it more convenient than almost anything else.

Hang in there Barry

Bob Coder
Willcox, AZ
bcoder

Apology

Postby DrewSpangler » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:38 pm

It has taken me about 40 minutes to accidentally find what may be the correct place to reply with my apology. But I did copy it first before I left the last wrong location so here it is:

Dear Barry,
Bob is correct. I was very rude. I came back for the very purpose of apologizing. And, I see Bob posted the correct remarks that I certainly had coming. It’s to bad for me that it took several days for me to establish enough quilt to get back here and say I’m sorry. I might be tempted to mount an inappropriate defense but humility is the only way to become a better tool in the hands of God.

To Anyone:
This is not a forum that I can advantage. My purpose is not to win a silly prize as a writer but to help others by developing organizational skills that will allow me to access notes necessary to accomplish that. (This may be hard to believe but its true) If my apology is acceptable and someone knows where I can go in person for instruction I promise to be patient and careful. As AppleWorks was designed for low common denominators like me, I’m sure you have to weed out those who are the worse of the worse. I spent hundreds of dollars on AppleWorks publications that I was never able to use and now it appears that our best word processing program is not even sold at Apple Stores anymore!!! Thank you for any consideration. Again, I am sorry. I have no other word processor software and really don’t want one. Drew Spangler (213) 388-5683

I probably didn’t post this in the right place but I said my piece and have to get out of here before I go nuts. I will never understand why human beings blog their precise lives away. What are you learning from trillions of pages of nothing? I apologize for this statement as well. Good bye and best wishes.
DrewSpangler

Postby Barry » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:09 am

DrewSpangler wrote:...
Don’t bother Barry, I won’t be back for months and you won’t have
what I need anyway. GOOD BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bother, Drew.

Addressing your points as raised in this post:

"All I want to do is assign a unique number to a paragraph in document 1 and put that same number in an outline in document “2“ where I can click on that number to retrieve the original."

Had you said that was what you wanted to do, my reply (or the reply of another user of this forum) would have addressed that issue. What your initial post asked was:

"What is an anchor?
"What is a target?"

My response offered definitions for each of these terms.

You then said, "I want to go to a particular paragraph on a particular page. How?" (emphasis added)

Note that you did not specify that you wanted to go from a particular location. That affected my response.

"Here’s your answer:
First you do something you can’t do then...
You do something else you can’t do then...
You do the last thing you don’t know how to do and you have it.
But first let me make up my own scenario that doesn’t apply to you."

Did you supply a scenario that did apply to you? Had you done so, I could have written my response using that scenario.

Did you actually read the rest of my response?

Had you done that you might have realized that the first three parts of my response stated the steps to follow to achieve the goal, the next part set up a scenario that would be used to provide a specific example of an anchor, and everything that followed that gave step-by-step instructions on how to do the three 'impossible' tasks.

"May I please have an address where I can go in person or better
can call on the phone with my hands free set."

There is a "send email" link at the bottom of each message on this forum (except for messages posted by unregistered guests). Be aware, however, that, unless invited, such email may not get a response. Responses to individual email are of benefit to only two people--the questioner, and the responder (who may learn something about AppleWorks in preparing the response); responses posted in the forum can be of benefit to the same people plus anyone else who reads the thread.

Those comments also apply to telephone questions and responses. AWUG did at one time include MHM (Members Helping Members) by telephone, but I don't know if there is anyone still offering that.

"I see now that this is the wrong place to post a reply but that figures.
You want advice? When I get logged in where’s the botton to check replys to my last question????????????????? AND WHY DO I NEED A MICROSCOPE TO READ WITH."

Actually, this is the right place to post a reply if you're replying to this topic (links & Anchors).
There is no button to check for replies to your last post. But..
When you log on, you'll see a gold bell icon beside each forum containing new posts since your previous visit.
Above the right end of the purple bar, there's a link to "View posts since last visit"
In each forum's topic list, topics with new posts (including replies) are marked with the gold bell icon.
If you remember the subject/topic you used for your post, it's pretty easy to spot whether there's been a reply.

And immediately under the box in which you compose your post, there's a check box labeled "Notify me when a reply is posted". Check the box before sending your post, and you'll receive an email when there's a reply.

Regarding needing a microscope to read with: If you're using Safari, command-+ will increase the size of the text on the page. If you're using Firefox, command-+ will increase the size of everything on the page, or of just the text if you have set the menu choice to do that. The commands are in the View menu on both browsers.

"The person who designed this did not design the AppleWorks program."

True.

"Where the hell is the answer information that you gave me that services
no purpose anyway. I see it not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Whatever it is that you are trying to say here is not very clear. The emotional content does come through, though.

Regards,
Barry[/quote]
Barry

Re: Apology

Postby Barry » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:01 am

DrewSpangler wrote:Dear Barry,
Bob is correct. I was very rude. I came back for the very purpose of apologizing. And, I see Bob posted the correct remarks that I certainly had coming. It’s to bad for me that it took several days for me to establish enough guilt to get back here and say I’m sorry. I might be tempted to mount an inappropriate defense but humility is the only way to become a better tool in the hands of God.

Thank you, Drew. I appreciate that it takes courage to apologize.

To Anyone:
This is not a forum that I can advantage. My purpose is not to win a silly prize as a writer but to help others by developing organizational skills that will allow me to access notes necessary to accomplish that. (This may be hard to believe but its true) If my apology is acceptable and someone knows where I can go in person for instruction I promise to be patient and careful.

One of the better places to go for person-to-person instruction is a local User group. The only one I'm aware of in the LA area is the Los Angeles Macintosh Group, and I know nothing about them beyond the fact that membership is free, they have a website at the address below, and they have an online bulletin board community.

http://www.lamg.org/

There is a contact form on the website. You might try making enquiries there.

That said, I'd still suggest re-reading my initial response to your question. It does address what you are trying to do. Consider "Dog bios" as equivalent to "Document 1", "Lady" as the "unique number (assigned) to a paragraph in Document 1" and as "that same number" in "Document 2" ("Leading Men and Ladies").

The invitation in that initial response (" If you need similar instructions for a pair of actual documents, email me directly using the link at the bottom of this message.") remains open.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo