Compatibility with latest iMacs

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Compatibility with latest iMacs

Postby Lawnman again » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:30 pm

My 2004 iMac has collapsed on me, and on the advice of the repairers I have just bought a new one. The Apple store tell me that it is not possible to install Appleworks on it, but previous postings seem to suggest that Appleworks works well with Leopard at least, so I wonder whether their advice is the final word.

All my old data has not yet been transferred to the new machine, but I would certainly wish to continue using and adding to my previous documents, databases, spreadsheets etc. I would be grateful for any advice or comments.

Jon
Lawnman again

Re: Compatibility with latest iMacs

Postby Peggy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Lawnman again wrote:My 2004 iMac has collapsed on me, and on the advice of the repairers I have just bought a new one. The Apple store tell me that it is not possible to install Appleworks on it, but previous postings seem to suggest that Appleworks works well with Leopard at least, so I wonder whether their advice is the final word.

All my old data has not yet been transferred to the new machine, but I would certainly wish to continue using and adding to my previous documents, databases, spreadsheets etc. I would be grateful for any advice or comments.

Jon

Installing AppleWorks depends on the install disk you have. If you have an installer that installs version 6.2 or later, it will have an OS X-aware installer. Earlier versions require OS 8/9. The OS X-aware installers were released sometime in mid- to late 2001. If your 2004 iMac came with a separate applications or AppleWorks install disk, you're all set. The new Macs will not allow you to use the gray install/restore disks with any other Mac than the specific model they were made for.

If you do have a back up with the whole AppleWorks 6 folder, you can copy that to Applications on the new Mac.
Peggy

Postby Lawnman again » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Thank you, Peggy. I waited until I was in a position to back up everything on my new iMac (just in case anything nasty on my old one had caused it to crash) and have now succeeded in transferring the application from my old machine to the new, where it seems to be working fine.

Jon
Lawnman again

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo