Unexpected end of file (spreadsheet)

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Unexpected end of file (spreadsheet)

Postby seshaw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:47 am

I'm running 10.5.7 on an Intel (2.4Ghz) MacBook and loaded my AW 6.2.9 when I got the new system (migrated everything from my old iMac). It works fine, ordinarily. I tried to open an Excel spreadsheet sent in an email without success. I get the message above (Unexpected end of file) after it translates through MacLink. Why does it do that? What can I do? I want to keep AW, but I fear Apple is writing code into the latest editions of the OS to discourage (read sabotage) using AW over the newer, replacement packages. Thoughts?

Steve
seshaw

Re: Unexpected end of file (spreadsheet)

Postby Barry » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:03 am

seshaw wrote:I'm running 10.5.7 on an Intel (2.4Ghz) MacBook and loaded my AW 6.2.9 when I got the new system (migrated everything from my old iMac). It works fine, ordinarily. I tried to open an Excel spreadsheet sent in an email without success. I get the message above (Unexpected end of file) after it translates through MacLink. Why does it do that? What can I do? I want to keep AW, but I fear Apple is writing code into the latest editions of the OS to discourage (read sabotage) using AW over the newer, replacement packages. Thoughts?

Steve

AppleWorks 6.2.9 is running well on my iMac under Mac OS X v10.5.9, so I don't think there's much truth to your conspiracy theory. It's likely that eventually there will be changes to the OS that will make it incompatible with AppleWorks and other PPC applications, but it's not something that has happened yet.

Unexpected end of file errors generally indicate a corrupted file. You might try other applications to open the file. Some are more fault tolerant that AppleWorks.

NeoOffice ( www.neooffice.org ) and OpenOffice.org ( www.openoffice.org ) are open source office suite applications which can be downloaded free (donations requested) from the URLs given.

icExcel ( http://www.panergy-software.com/) is an Excel viewer which can save opened Excel files in AppleWorks format. $19.95 from Panergy Software.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo