Translators

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Translators

Postby veropcnet » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:49 am

Hello!
I am running Appleworks 6.2.9 on Leopard 10.5.7. I downloaded a business template pack off this site, and I want to save an invoice template as a Word document to open on a PC.

Isn't there a way to "Save As" a Word .doc format? I only have Appleworks formats in the Save As drop down box. I also own Maclinkplus deluxe 16 if that matters. I read somewhere that you need translators. I did a standard install of 6 and updated to 6.2.9 (I used an OS X install package)

Also, can I import or put those templates I downloaded somewhere so they show up when I open Appleworks 6 (like add them to the templates tab) ?

Thanks so much for your help.
veropcnet

Re: Translators

Postby Barry » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:30 pm

veropcnet wrote:Hello!
I am running Appleworks 6.2.9 on Leopard 10.5.7. I downloaded a business template pack off this site, and I want to save an invoice template as a Word document to open on a PC.

Isn't there a way to "Save As" a Word .doc format? I only have Appleworks formats in the Save As drop down box. I also own Maclinkplus deluxe 16 if that matters. I read somewhere that you need translators. I did a standard install of 6 and updated to 6.2.9 (I used an OS X install package)

The MacLink translators supplied with AppleWorks varied through it's active lifetime, with the list growing shorter as it approached EOL. On my iBook G4/Tiger, there are four files, two for each of import and export. One pair is at top level on the boot drive. Both of these have generic 'blank page' icons and size of 0 bytes. The other pair are at Mac HD > System Folder > Claris, and have AppleWorks file icons and sizes of 48 kB. (Note that this is the OS ( "System Folder", not the OS X "System" folder). A search in the finder for "maclink" should bring the files up, if they're on your machine.

Your MacLink plus should include AW > Word translators, but I don't know if there's any difference in the way they work from those supplied with AW.

Also, can I import or put those templates I downloaded somewhere so they show up when I open Appleworks 6 (like add them to the templates tab) ?

Templates are stored at Applications > AppleWorks 6 > Starting Points > Templates.

You can store the imported templates there by simply dropping them into the folder (in the Finder), or by opening the template in AppleWorks (it will open as an Untitled document), modifying it as you see fit, then do a Save as... AppleWorks will automatically navigate to the Templates folder when you click the Template button in the Save dialogue.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Resolved

Postby veropcnet » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have figured it out finally w/ your help, and "Appleworks 6 The Missing Manual"
veropcnet

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo