AW's spread sheet

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

AW's spread sheet

Postby [email protected] » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:01 pm

Using OS x10.6.2 I cannot create a simple spread sheet as I could before OS X 10.6.2 --

AppleWorks will work under SnowLeopard (almost). SnowLeopard will not allow me to make the spread sheet I describe below ---

If i do the following using AppleWorks -- create a new spread sheet > Windows-PageView > File-PageSet Up-horizontal > HighLight -- A1-H35 > Options-Set PrintRange > enter A1 - H39 and click OK --- I get a message "not a valid cell reference". And that ends it. AppleWorks used to -- after I highlighted the cells, the cells references would be automatically posted and when you clicked OK you had a nice clean Spread Sheet A1 -- H39.

If you have a way of doing this with AppleWorks 6.2.9, I sure would appreciate learning how. Then, I would not have to find out how to do it with Numbers.
[email protected]

Re: AW's spread sheet

Postby Didier » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:00 pm

enter A1 - H39 and click OK --- I get a message "not a valid cell reference"

Hello,

I don't use 10.6 (still happy with 10.4) but did you try entering A1..H39 instead of A1 - H39 ?
Didier

Postby Dean M Aschenbrenner » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:48 am

CFarley:

A1..H39 SHOULD work!

If you are still having problems CLOSE APPLEWORKS then try LIBRARY > PREFERENCES> APPLEWORKS > find the 'com.apple.appleworks.plist' and trash it. Restart AW and it will build a new prefs and you should be good to go!

I have used 10.6 since it came out and have had no problems with 10.6 and AppleWorks.

Please let us know how you make out.

Blessings, Dean
Dean M Aschenbrenner

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 pm

[email protected] wrote:Using OS x10.6.2 I cannot create a simple spread sheet as I could before OS X 10.6.2 --

If i do the following using AppleWorks -- create a new spread sheet > Windows-PageView > File-PageSet Up-horizontal > HighLight -- A1-H35 > Options-Set PrintRange > enter A1 - H39 and click OK --- I get a message "not a valid cell reference". And that ends it. AppleWorks used to -- after I highlighted the cells, the cells references would be automatically posted and when you clicked OK you had a nice clean Spread Sheet A1 -- H39.

A few of points and questions:

1. What is the purpose of highlighting cells A1-H35?
Setting the Print Range by entering a range of cells in the Print Cell Range dialogue does not require any cells to be selected, and can be done with cells selected that are outside the print range to be set.
You could also set the Print Range with these steps:
Select the cells A1..H39
Go Options > Set Print Range.
(note that the Print Cell Range button is already selected in the Dialog)
Click OK.

2. "A1 - H39" is, as the message says, "not a correct cell reference." Nor is A1 -- H39.
In AppleWorks, a range of cells is referenced using two periods (and no spaces) to separate the beginning and end cell addresses: A1..H39

3. Setting the Print Range to A1..H39, Page Setup to Landscape orientation and Window to Page View makes no change in the spreadsheet itself. Those changes together simply restrict what portion of the whole spreadsheet we see.
To change the size of the actual spreadsheet, do this:
Go Format > Document...
In the Dialog, find the Size section.
In Columns across, enter 8
In Rows down, enter 39
Click OK
If you want the white background and margins, go Options > Page View, then set Print Range to Print All cells with data.

4. Dean's point is well taken.

AppleWorks keeps more than one preferences file, though, and OS X keeps more than one folder called Library—one for the System (which you don't want to interfere with!) and one for each User with an account on the computer.

Quit AppleWorks.
In the Finder:
go to: yourname > Library > Preferences
In the preferences folder:
Locate and delete the file com.apple.appleworks.plist
Locate and open the folder AppleWorks
Select and delete the two prefs/preferences files
Select and delete the two cache files.

AppleWorks will create new, clean copies of these files as it needs them.

After any major installation, including an OS upgrade, you should also Repair Permissions, using Disk Utility. a utility application supplied with Mac OS X.

5. If you want all of your (new) spreadsheets to be like this one, here's how:
Open a new spreadsheet.
Set it up as you want it, using the instructions above.
Before entering any data, press shift-command-S to Save as...
Enter this name for the file: AppleWorks SS Options
Click the Template radio button near the bottom of the Dialog window.
Click Save.

AppleWorks will use the saved template for any New spreadsheet.

If you have a way of doing this with AppleWorks 6.2.9, I sure would appreciate learning how. Then, I would not have to find out how to do it with Numbers.

On the other hand, AppleWorks will eventually face a version of the OS under which it will not work.

Changing the size of a spreadsheet in Numbers is exceptionally easy.
Click on any cell to make the table active.
Grab the handle at the lower right corner of the table.
Drag it to add (or subtract) rows and/or columns.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo