Appleworks 6 - Snow Leopard

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among AppleWorks users.

Appleworks 6 - Snow Leopard

Postby job1970 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I have been reading the different postings about Appleworks 6 & Snow Leopard. So far, I haven't seen my question.

All was running fine -- I used a jump drive to transfer the Appleworks program to the new computer. But now, it is running very, very, very slowly.

I finally got it to load, but it takes forever. I've made sure everything is backed up --- just in case, but would like to solve this problem.

It didn't start out this way when I installed Appleworks. Just today, it began very slow and I haven't done anything new to the computer since I was using it last night.

Any ideas?

TIA

jayne
job1970

Re: Appleworks 6 - Snow Leopard

Postby Peggy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with Snow Leopard, just that you've been using AppleWorks for awhile. You have run into the most complained about bug in AppleWorks 6 - known as the "Recent Items bug" - & has been around since AppleWorks 6 was released in March, 2000. You need to go to HD > Users > (your account) > Documents > AppleWorks User Data > Starting Points > Recent Items & delete all or most of the aliases in that folder. AppleWorks never did get its code fixed to delete them & they will accumulate until you empty the folder.
Peggy

Postby job1970 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:23 pm

THANK YOU! I remember reading about "Recent Items Bug" ... I used to come here quite a bit to peruse the postings! I totally forgot about it!

I just deleted ... and I have printed out the message to help remind me in the future ... (if I remember where I put the print-out!).

Thanks!

BTW --- How do I change my password? I had to ask to have a new one sent to me ... and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change my password!!!
job1970

Postby Tim » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 pm

job1970 wrote:...How do I change my password? I had to ask to have a new one sent to me ... and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change my password!!!

If you're talking about your password in this Discussion Forum, click the User Control Panel link just above this message thread. Then click the Profile tab and then click the Edit Account Settings tab. There you'll be able to change your password for the AWUG/iWUG Help and Discussion Forums.
Tim
AWUG/iWUG Webmaster
Tim

Postby jbailey.pgm » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:50 am

Hope someone sees this -- I had to create a new account because my new password isn't being recognized.

ON WITH THE PROBLEM: I deleted the "Recent Items" and Appleworks is still very, very very slow, especially loading. Actually, I have had to force quit it three times in the last few minutes because it appears to be loading --- but the ball just keeps spinning.

Then, the last time the "Recovering file -" prompt came up, I clicked on "recover" and it wouldn't do a dern thing ... the prompt just sat there on my desktop ---!!! Finally forced quit ... and here I am.

Please, Please, Please ...don't force me to use Word!!! And I don't have iWork.

TIA!
jbailey.pgm

Postby jbailey.pgm » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 am

Well, I did the "Recent Items" fix ... and Appleworks is still very, very slow ... and sometimes doesn't load at all.

Got any other ideas????

TIA
jbailey.pgm

Return to AppleWorks Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo