Page numbering problem

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Page numbering problem

Postby jsyoung » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:47 pm

I would like to insert consecutive page numbers starting on page 2 of a 6 page document and it doesn't happen! In the Layout drop down in Inspector the options are grayed out. If I select the footer and "Insert numbers" any number appears the same on every page. There must be a simple way to do this.

J.
jsyoung

Page numbering problem

Postby JJ » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:05 pm

To add page numbers, place the insetion point where you want to page number to appear (in this case the footer), and then choose Insert>Page Number.

Hope this helps
JJ

Page numbering problem

Postby jsyoung » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:59 pm

I did choose to insert page number when curser was in the footer but it inserts the same number on all the pages.

J.
jsyoung

Postby cm752004 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Hello,
please make sure that the Inspector is open, then click somewhere onto your page (for example page 3), NOT in the footer. Go to the Inspector and chose/edit Layout->Section and there "Continue from previos section" or "Start at:".
The important thing is, you can not edit these entries, when your cursor is in the footer.
Now your inserted pagenumbers should do the right thing.
cm752004

Postby jsyoung » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:17 pm

cm752004 wrote:Hello,
please make sure that the Inspector is open, then click somewhere onto your page (for example page 3), NOT in the footer. Go to the Inspector and chose/edit Layout->Section and there "Continue from previos section" or "Start at:".
The important thing is, you can not edit these entries, when your cursor is in the footer.

Thank you. It seems to be working, although seemd to be more complicated than it needs to be!
jsyoung

Postby Dale » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:58 pm

jsyoung wrote:
cm752004 wrote:Hello,

Thank you. It seems to be working, although seemd to be more complicated than it needs to be!

This is flexibility, not being unnecessarily complicated.

For example, if I create a document using the blank template and insert a page number, it applies this to every page, even if I have multiple sections. I guess you weren't using the blank template though.

I'd also guess that you were using a template that had multiple sections with page numbering turned off for one or more sections. For example, a report with a covering page, where page numbering is turned off for the covering page.

Imagine if page numbers were automatically added to every page, ignoring sections, etc. I'm sure this simplicity wouldn't be regarded as simplicity, but probably thoughtless design by Apple engineers.

Dale
Dale

Re: Page numbering problem

Postby Bernie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:14 pm

Assuming you want page 2 to be numbered 1, page 3 as 2 etc:
1. Click at the bottom of page 1 (or top of page 2);
2. Select Section Break from the Insert menu;
3. Click in the footer of page 2;
4. Position cursor where page number is to be, using the Format > Text menu;
5. Select Page Number from the Insert menu;
6. Click in any text area below page 1, i.e. not in a footer, header, image or textbox;
7. In the Layout Inspector, click the Section Tab;
8. Click Start at: and enter 1 in the textbox.
Bernie

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo