multiple page PDF

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

multiple page PDF

Postby Gary Meader » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:01 pm

I'm importing calendar pages from AW into Pages then sizing, etc. On the top of my 5.5x11 page, I've imported a photo and sized, etc. All is well at this point. Now that I have 13 separate pages with which to make my calendar, I need to save it as a PDF to take to my service center for printing. My question is how do I turn 13 separate documents into one file?
Gary Meader

Re: multiple page PDF

Postby Bernie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:13 pm

1. Select Print... in the File menu
2. In the dialog that opens, click the PDF button (lower left) and choose Save As PDF...
3. In the Save dialog, specify the file name and location.
4. Click Save.
Bernie

Postby Barry » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:17 pm

Bernie wrote:1. Select Print... in the File menu
2. In the dialog that opens, click the PDF button (lower left) and choose Save As PDF...
3. In the Save dialog, specify the file name and location.
4. Click Save.

That will create a pdf file, Bernie, but as I read Gary's question, he's got 13 separate Pages documents that he wants to combine into a single 13 page pdf.

Gary, I doubt that you can join them up after or during the process of printing to pdf. This would have to be done in Pages prior to following Bernie's steps above.

I haven't used Pages, so can't advise on how to accomplish this. If I were searching Pages Help, I'd look for things like 'combining documents' 'joining documents' 'adding pages' 'inserting files' etc.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Postby Bernie » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:57 am

Barry is quite correct, of course - all 13 pages need to be in the one document.
An alternate method is to export the document as a PDF file. To find out how to do this:
1. Select the Pages Help menu while your Pages document is open;
2. Enter "Save as PDF" (with or without quotes) in the Spotlight textbox and press Return or Enter;
3. Open "Exporting a document as a PDF file" in the resulting list and follow the instructions (as they say in the classics).

Good Luck.
Bernie

Postby Gary Meader » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:54 pm

Gary Meader wrote:I'm importing calendar pages from AW into Pages then sizing, etc. On the top of my 5.5x11 page, I've imported a photo and sized, etc. All is well at this point. Now that I have 13 separate pages with which to make my calendar, I need to save it as a PDF to take to my service center for printing. My question is how do I turn 13 separate documents into one file?

Thanks Barry, for reading the question. You've got it right. So, what do you thyink happens if I send 13 separate files to the print house? WAon't they charge me an arm and a leg for set-up time? I'd rather avoid that. Maybe, when I import the calendars and photos, i should make a 13 page document to start with? Thanks again.
Gary Meader

Postby Barry » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Gary Meader wrote:
Gary Meader wrote:I'm importing calendar pages from AW into Pages then sizing, etc. On the top of my 5.5x11 page, I've imported a photo and sized, etc. All is well at this point. Now that I have 13 separate pages with which to make my calendar, I need to save it as a PDF to take to my service center for printing. My question is how do I turn 13 separate documents into one file?

Thanks Barry, for reading the question. You've got it right. So, what do you thyink happens if I send 13 separate files to the print house? WAon't they charge me an arm and a leg for set-up time? I'd rather avoid that. Maybe, when I import the calendars and photos, i should make a 13 page document to start with? Thanks again.

Some print houses will consider this as 13 separate jobs and charge you accordingly. Others will accept it as a single job.

Putting the 13 files ito a single 13 page document should avoid the extra setup charges.

I can't give you precise instructions on how tro do this, but it should be covered in Pages Help (or iWork Help). On my own, I'd look for a menu item named Insert or Import, and use those to bring the separate pages into a single 13 page document based on the Blank template.

Regards,
Barry
Barry

Combining PDF files

Postby JE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:24 pm

You might try doing this in Preview (I don't have the current version).
JE

Combining PDF files

Postby Gary Meader » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:32 pm

What I ended up doing was making a blank 13 page document, then just copying and pasting from the originals. A little longer, but it worked fine. Now I know to make the multi-page spread before I start. Thanks for the replies.
Gary Meader

Re: Combining PDF files

Postby Peggy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Gary Meader wrote:What I ended up doing was making a blank 13 page document, then just copying and pasting from the originals. A little longer, but it worked fine. Now I know to make the multi-page spread before I start. Thanks for the replies.

I may be a little late to this party, but I've been using a free utility, PDFLab, that can join several PDFs into one or remove pages from a PDF. I used it most recently to take a PDF created from Pages & a PDF of a photo database from AppleWorks & put them together. I needed two pages from the Pages PDF before the AW DB & two more after. You can find it at http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/pdflab/
Peggy

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo