Convert Tab Delimited File to Spreadsheet

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Convert Tab Delimited File to Spreadsheet

Postby Russ Skelton » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:30 pm

I have just started using the spreadsheet in AppleWorks. I would like to know if I can open a tab delimited file and have the spreadsheet program put each item between tabs in a separate cell. Right now it is putting everything in a single cell. Thanks for any help you might give me.

Russ
Russ Skelton

Re: Convert Tab Delimited File to Spreadsheet

Postby Peggy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:28 pm

Russ Skelton wrote:I have just started using the spreadsheet in AppleWorks. I would like to know if I can open a tab delimited file and have the spreadsheet program put each item between tabs in a separate cell. Right now it is putting everything in a single cell. Thanks for any help you might give me.

Russ

This is the iWork help forum. I answered your question in AppleWorks help.

iWork doesn't have a spreadsheet & only has limited spreadsheet abilities in tables, no ability to open a spreadsheet or text file as a table. You might be able to copy & paste the text file into a table, but you need to make sure the table has the exact number of columns as you need. It doesn't "know" to start a new row when there is a return & will fill table rows until it reaches the end not leaving any blank cells.
Peggy

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo