Pages

This forum is a self-help system for the exchange of ideas among iWork users.

Pages

Postby tonyandkath » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32 pm

Has anyone got a simple path to go down that will allow me to create a Table of Contents that will automatically update? I'm having trouble!
And how do you stop the TOC pushing everything down subsequent pages?
Tony
tonyandkath

Re: Pages

Postby Warren Williams » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:06 pm

You need to use styles to create an auto-updating table of contents. For example, define a style for each chapter heading. Then use the Document Inspector to define that style as a Table of Contents (TOC) indicator.

For step-by-step directions, access Pages' on-line help system and search for "Table of Contents".

To keep the TOC from pushing everything down onto a new page, wait until you are done creating the TOC. Then insert a Page Break command just below the last item in the TOC.
Warren Williams

Postby tonyandkath » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:44 am

Warren Williams wrote:You need to use styles to create an auto-updating table of contents. For example, define a style for each chapter heading. Then use the Document Inspector to define that style as a Table of Contents (TOC) indicator.

For step-by-step directions, access Pages' on-line help system and search for "Table of Contents".

To keep the TOC from pushing everything down onto a new page, wait until you are done creating the TOC. Then insert a Page Break command just below the last item in the TOC.

Thank you Warren. I printed out the Pages manual when I first bought the programme and I never thought there would be anything better or different in the Help menus! I guess with these things you never stop learning.
I got the TOC more or less sorted out. The contents are on the left followed by the page numbers but I cannot shift them to the right and put in a leader line. I'm sure I'll beat it yet.
The book I'm doing has a lot of photos in it and I'm about to try editing them in Pages, cropping, enhancing etc. That will be interesting.
Thanks once again.
Tony
tonyandkath

Postby haumann » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:07 pm

tonyandkath wrote:The book I'm doing has a lot of photos in it and I'm about to try editing them in Pages, cropping, enhancing etc. That will be interesting.
Tony

Keep in mind that Pages™ will always assume that any cropping or enhancing is intended to be "undoable". The unfortunate side effect is that a document with a lot of graphic edits will potentially end up as an exceptionally large document file. You might consider at least prepping your images in an external editor, then just "fine tune" them in the Pages document as necessary.

John@was
haumann

Postby tonyandkath » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:37 pm

haumann wrote:
tonyandkath wrote:The book I'm doing has a lot of photos in it and I'm about to try editing them in Pages, cropping, enhancing etc. That will be interesting.
Tony

Keep in mind that Pages™ will always assume that any cropping or enhancing is intended to be "undoable". The unfortunate side effect is that a document with a lot of graphic edits will potentially end up as an exceptionally large document file. You might consider at least prepping your images in an external editor, then just "fine tune" them in the Pages document as necessary.

John@was

Thank you John. I'll do that right now. No trouble to edit with iPhoto.
Cheers
Tony
tonyandkath

Return to iWork Help

AppleWorks Users Group Logo iWork Users Group Logo